Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all thank you for this excellent resource. Got a running / limping ‘72 CL350 in Austin slowly working on. Another 72 cb350 complete parts bike being rebuilt (Now-ish). Rolling chassis + everything I pulled. Also a just acquired 197X Amen Savior frame cb350 4 carb. Plus a ‘68 cb350 frame. Want to make a ratty chopper with the parts 350. Or take the top end since the complete gimper is missing some fins. Anyway thanks for all the information. Will probably post too many pictures and questions. Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
Man you have this many 350s and you're just now joining? Is that allowed? Do they just let people buy vintage Hondas without coming here first? :D

Seriously though, welcome. Looking forward to seeing how it goes!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha. I'v been a lurker longer than I'v owned any of these. Acquired them all ( its only 3 + a frame and misc parts ) in last 6 months. Its... a better problem to have than some. I am also not a mechanic but I'v been able to get things going / staying with basic maintenance, manuals and the father we never had - youtube. I disassembled the, what I thought was a '72 350(325c) but is actually a 350cc printed on motor so I assume is a '72 360. So thats neat. Winter just ending here so I just pulled the motor and carbs into the house basement where its warmer to start milling about them / creating a larger pile of parts. I let Pb blaster sit on all the bolts and got the cover and reservoirs ( bottom of carb) off the carbs. Looks like battery acid type corrosion inside where the floats are, pretty janky. the rest is pretty clean? will post pictures...

The motor is more stubborn although I pulled the top end cover / valve cover ? - told you I dont know what Im doing. And also the... cover where the gear selector omes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there were other photos. will post later. second carb didnt have a spring. Where is the best place to get rebuild kits ? Its the later carb I believe. '72. While looking I saw kits for 50$ and i saw complete new carb sets from Taiwan for 100$.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok nevermind on the 360. I was just looking at the stamp at two spots. It is a Cb 350 E 507xxx - does this mean it is 350k5 ? And if so does the 5k indicate a year, ie later production '73- on? or something like that. Looking to order a rebuild kits for the carbs and motor. Please advise !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Copy that

Thank you for clarifying Tom.

So- the G is also the " super sport " ? i.e disc break.

Looking to order the rebuild kits for these here carbs and motor if anyone has a recommendation. Was looking at Common Motor and also, dare I say, Amazon.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
The Super Sport designation was applied to a lot of their models back then - https://www.google.com/search?q=honda+super+sport+ads&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjWkua9tIDaAhVS61MKHYPoCpAQsAQIJg - just as the Motosport name was applied to many of the SL and XL models

the G was the only one to have disc brake that I know of. As for kits, lots of people have had success with kits from 4into1.com. CMC is often more pricey for the same parts. I wouldn't discount Amazon, I've bought many things through them... it all depends on brand for price

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again for the info Tom.

The parts bike MOTOR is a Cb350G. The frame is a '75 360. Will the frame accomodate the motor properly ? I'm ok with fabing some motor mounts if need be.

2) Ordered some cheap pod filters for the cb350F + Amen Savior chopper bike to see if I can do the fluids and ride it, HA.

3) "Running" CL 350 has a seriously stuck seized oil drain plug. Iv hit it with PB blaster for days. cheater bar, impact, etc.
a) the exhaust clamp is JB welded onto the front of the motor. The bolts that come out were sheered and that round shell clamp ( not sure what it is called forgive me) is holding the left exhaust pipe to the motor. there is escape / pressure loss there, evidenced in the exhaust pressure. they seem to be firing at the same time from putting hand behind exhaust, but what the hell do I know. My understanding is that those bolts for the exhaust clamps are cast in the motor and not getting replaced. Thus i have the second top end.

Now Im thinking i just rebuild ( crossing fingers) the 350G entirely and put it in the functioning CL 350 with the janked up exhaust.

If you've read this, thank you. If anyone is willing to field questions from me or expand their community shoot me a message.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Will the frame accomodate the motor properly ? I'm ok with fabing some motor mounts if need be.

"Running" CL 350 has a seriously stuck seized oil drain plug. Iv hit it with PB blaster for days. cheater bar, impact, etc.
the exhaust clamp is JB welded onto the front of the motor. The bolts that come out were sheered and that round shell clamp ( not sure what it is called forgive me) is holding the left exhaust pipe to the motor. there is escape / pressure loss there, evidenced in the exhaust pressure. My understanding is that those bolts for the exhaust clamps are cast in the motor and not getting replaced.
I'm not the guy for the engine swap differences (less familiar with the 350/360), but there are many here who will jump in with info to help. As for the drain plug, if it can't be loosened with an impact or long extension handle and a 6 point socket/breaker bar then it's tighter than any one I've ever seen, but they can be pretty tough. The exhaust studs in the head are replaceable. They might be a challenge depending on what might have been done before you, but they're not a permanent part of the head. You might have to use some kind of extraction method if they are broken off flush with the head. Pictures will help identify the condition better

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know Brit bike enthusiasts (and maybe most bike enthusiasts) would call me crazy, but the ‘72 CB350 Is probably my favorite looking motorcycle of all time. I love the symmetry of the engine and the pipes. I love how it’s made of metal. I like the looks of the drum brakes front and rear. And as a bonus, they run clean and ride smooth.

I’m paraphrasing Peter Egan (who wrote this about a 550):

It borrows it’s style from earlier British bikes, but it has just enough Honda to reassure those of us who don’t like walking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey y’all thank you for this excellent resource. Got a running / limping ‘72 CL350 in Austin slowly working on. Another 72 cb350 complete parts bike being rebuilt (Now-ish). Rolling chassis + everything I pulled. Also a just acquired 197X Amen Savior frame cb350 4 carb. Plus a ‘68 cb350 frame. Want to make a ratty chopper with the parts 350. Or take the top end since the complete gimper is missing some fins. Anyway thanks for all the information. Will probably post too many pictures and questions. Cheers
Had an Amen Savior frame with a 750 Triumph Bonneville engine in it way way back in the day wish I still had it! Nice bikes don't see the savior frames much anymore.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
The two carb nudes. Made a longer post. Lost it
Yeah I learned that the hard way too. The trick is to check the "remember me" box next to your username and password when you log in. It'll keep you from getting logged out halfway through carefully writing something, and save you the frustration of losing your post and having to retype it.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
and when in doubt, before you click "post", highlight and 'copy' and if something bad happens anyway, you'll have it to 'paste' back in the same thread when you log back in

1 - 20 of 20 Posts