Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good question. I would be extremely interested it if would work on the CB500T. I am currently getting mine running, and I would love to go to an electronic ignition instead of points! I think I remember the 500T being a 180 degree offset, and this upgrade for the 750 says it's a 120 degree, so may be a no-go... :( Although, I remember seeing another site where the modified a CDI upgrade for a 750 to work on a 500T. Required a little modification of the plate, but this one doesn't have the bulk of the one I saw, and may fit unmodified.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Already sent him an email. Hopefully he can tweak it to work! I'll gladly be the testing guinea pig :)

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Let me know what you find out. i have his ignition on my XS650 and would be interested on upgrading my CB500t to something similar.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, he has a prototype built for the CB450. At this point it's more the marketability of it. The kit would work on the CB450, CB500T, and GL1000, so I would think there would be enough of a market to make it doable. He has to order the CNC parts in 500 lots, so we need to drum him up some business for it. There is another company that makes a kit for the CB450 and 500T, but it's almost $300... I like his prices much better :)

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Rhys79 said:
Well, he has a prototype built for the CB450. At this point it's more the marketability of it. The kit would work on the CB450, CB500T, and GL1000, so I would think there would be enough of a market to make it doable. He has to order the CNC parts in 500 lots, so we need to drum him up some business for it. There is another company that makes a kit for the CB450 and 500T, but it's almost $300... I like his prices much better :)
Do a search on this forum for the Dyna (mod) kit. Might be just what you are looking for.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The Dyna mod isn't exactly cheap either. I know it can be done with the GL1000 Dyna kit, but from what I've read, it requires some modification to make it work, and requires new coils. Bore-Tech makes a CB450/500T kit, but it's almost $400, and a company out of Australia makes a kit, but it's over $700... I like this guys kits because they don't require an additional box that you have to find a place to mount, and uses the stock coil setup without having to change plugs or caps. Plus it's a third of the price of the bore-tech kit, which is a huge bonus ;)

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Rhys79 said:
The Dyna mod isn't exactly cheap either. I know it can be done with the GL1000 Dyna kit, but from what I've read, it requires some modification to make it work, and requires new coils. Bore-Tech makes a CB450/500T kit, but it's almost $400, and a company out of Australia makes a kit, but it's over $700... I like this guys kits because they don't require an additional box that you have to find a place to mount, and uses the stock coil setup without having to change plugs or caps. Plus it's a third of the price of the bore-tech kit, which is a huge bonus ;)
The dyna is available from Z1 for $122 and does use stock coils, leads and caps and is identical in design (principal) to the one from Pete, with no additional box etc required. So, It sounds like Pete is on to a good thing as long as he keep the price down under that of the dyna :D

The Kit from Australia has been around since the 1980's under different names and uses lED's and light sensing diodes as the trigger, old tech that works, but outdated.

The bore tech kit is a completely different proposition as it does away with the problematic (worn) advance plate and allows to owner to control the Adv/Ret through the use of the "black Box", and for the Technology include is the pick of all the ignitions available on the marked.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ahh, the only Dyna installation I've seen on a 500T was at thefang.co.uk, and they had to make some significant modifications to it to make it work. I thought I remembered it beeing considerably more expensive than that, but apparently I was wrong. I'll have to look into it a little more if Pete doesn't decide to go to market with his design.

Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Rhys79 said:
Ahh, the only Dyna installation I've seen on a 500T was at thefang.co.uk, and they had to make some significant modifications to it to make it work. I thought I remembered it beeing considerably more expensive than that, but apparently I was wrong. I'll have to look into it a little more if Pete doesn't decide to go to market with his design.

Thanks for the info!
See below :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, that explains the modifications that they didn't go into depth on at thefang... Sounds pretty simple, but a purpose built unit that you just bolt in would be alot nicer :) Any idea why the difference in orientation between the two sources at the end? The second one looks like the orientation on the fang, which was a 500T, not a 450 as described in the doc.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Rhys79 said:
Well, that explains the modifications that they didn't go into depth on at thefang... Sounds pretty simple, but a purpose built unit that you just bolt in would be alot nicer :) Any idea why the difference in orientation between the two sources at the end? The second one looks like the orientation on the fang, which was a 500T, not a 450 as described in the doc.

Thanks!
The orientation is simply 45deg out and as the unit fires every 45 deg (either tdc 1 or tdc 2 or bdc 1 or bdc 2) it doesn't really matter :D the only difference between the 500 and 450 ignition is the timing :)

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Hello to all:

Just thought I would give you an update to the progress on the CB750, 500 and 550 ignition system that I now have available.

The system is complete for the CB750, 500 and 550 models, all of which use the same basic points system. The new system replaces the points plate and points cam but continues to use the stock mechanical advance.

The web site for the new system is:

http://www.cb750ignition.com
or
http://www.cbignition.com

A note of clarification to one of the above posts: The figure "120 degrees" is the dwell angle, not the "offset" of the two sensors, which are, of course, offset by 180 degree just like the points.

Dwell angle is the period in degrees that the points are closed, or, in this case, the transistor is turned on to charge the coil. A longer dwell angle is necessary for high RPM's because the time on for the coils gets shorter and shorter as the engine speed increases. Typical points have a dwell angle of 90 degrees.

Another way to think of dwell angle is to convert it to duty cycle, or, time on vs time off for the coil. A 90 deg. dwell angle equates to a 25% duty cycle. A 120 deg dwell angle equates to 120/360 = 33.33 % duty cycle. A longer dwell angle, or larger duty cycle, allows more time for the coil to heat up, so the generally accepted maximum dwell angle is 180 degrees or 50% duty cycle, meaning that the coil has the same amount of time to cool down as it has to heat up. So, theoretically, a 50% duty cycle would be ideal, giving the coil the same amount of time to cool as to heat up, but the coil is generally mounted in the vicinity of the engine, so the heat from the engine is a factor here, meaning that you have to allow more time for cooling than heating. A 120 deg. dwell angle (33.3 % duty cycle) is a good compromise giving the coil twice as much time to cool down as to heat up.

I had started work on a system for the 2 cylinder Honda's before I decided to proceed with the 4 cylinder Honda's, but I will probably go back and finish the 2 cylinder work later this winter.

The next project will be a system for the CB350F and CB400F due to their almost identical points system.

I know this is probably not the right forum for 4 Cylinder Honda's, but I just thought I would respond to the interest that was shown in this thread.

Thanks, PAMCOPETE

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
grand_marquis_gt said:
http://hondatwins.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=81a78fbf591561a81a29451756bfa72f&topic=480.0

This guy also builds a moderately priced ignition for our twins. I am going to buy one this coming week :D
Before you do, have a look at these and do some more research, these kits have been available for years from all and sunder, there's even a DIY kit available from Jaycar. The Dyna unit is exactly the same and can be found on the net for cheaper than what Dyna is asking, comes with a factory backing and warranty. Don't get me wrong the Honda man system is simple enough and if built well should last.

http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/product ... /boosters/

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
grand_marquis_gt said:
http://hondatwins.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=81a78fbf591561a81a29451756bfa72f&topic=480.0

This guy also builds a moderately priced ignition for our twins. I am going to buy one this coming week :D
The Hondaman unit is great. You won't be disappointed.
Mark Paris is a great guy and very helpful.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Well Pamcopete you can put me down for one of your systems for my 450 as soon as its ready, pretty sure I can sell a couple more of them for you. Any idea what it will cost me in the UK (including postage)

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Well, I have restarted my development of a electronic ignition system for the CB350, CB450 twins. I had started the project a couple of years ago, so the initial work has been done. Here is a picture of that effort:

Now, I just have to complete the design and do some field tests. I ordered 300 of the special PC board for this new system which will be used to accommodate the 180 degree cranks.

Stay tuned for the first available batch!

Email: [email protected]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts