Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm happy to finally be here! I've always liked vintage Hondas and finally bought my first motorcycle, a '74 Honda CL360. It's in decent shape, runs and drives, but I will be planning a restoration project for it this winter. I'm looking forward to the project aspect of this bike just as much as riding. I'm always trying to learn more, so feel free to send me any advice/tips/tricks you have for a bike like this.

Honda_One.jpg

Honda_Two.jpg

Thanks,
I'll see everyone in the threads.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Welcome to the forum, that's a handsome green you've got there. Good luck with the resto and may all your questions find answers...

·
Registered
1975 CL360
120 Posts
That bike looks like a nice survivor, very original and appears to be nearly complete. How many miles does it have? Any major problems you know about? Missing or broken parts? Do you have owners manuals or maintenance techniques? See this thread.

First off with a new old bike, is to take care of the basic maintenance: oil replacement, oil filter and rotor cleaning, ignition points clean and adjustment, ignition timing. Check the front and rear brakes. Look at the engine serial number below the left carb. Does it have two punch marks above and below the dash in the number? If it does, your motor has had the service for the cam chain tensioner recall. If those marks are missing, be sure to inspect the tensioner when possible.

Those fuel lines from the tank to the carbs originally had a metal spring around them to keep them from melting against the hot exhaust pipe. The seat is in good shape, front forks appear clean, and tires are newer street type. You found a good looking bike. I have a 1975 CL360.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Scramblr,

Thanks for all of that good info! That'll keep me busy for the next couple weeks. The bike has just under 27,000 miles, starts first try with the kick start, no missing or broken "important" parts, and it did come with the original owner's manual. The only issues I can diagnose from the short time I've spent looking it over are that it leaks oil from the center of the case once it is turned off after running for a while, it doesn't seem to leak oil while running. I've also had some trouble finding neutral while the bike is running, but it shifts into neutral easy with the engine off.

Other than that, just typical condition you would expect for being 40+ years old, some surface and tank rust, and in need of a carb tune.

Thanks again! I think I'm going to start a project thread soon to track my progress and get some feedback from the experienced guys on here. I hope to talk to you more throughout the project.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Your oil problem is most likely a gasket or an oil seal. Remove the case covering your front sproket and run the bike, look around for seeping oil, I'll bet you will need to replace a seal.
Or if by "center of the case" you mean directly under the engine it's just your drain plug or a hairline crack.... ?

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Or the leak could just be the crank case vent doing what it does. 27k is getting up there, maybe getting a little more blow by then normal or it could just need an oil change. Mine had 25k when I rebuilt it.

"Those fuel lines from the tank to the carbs originally had a metal spring around them to keep them from melting against the hot exhaust pipe. "

Fuel lines run behind the clutch cable if correctly installed and the CBs had the springs too, mostly for looks me thinks. Good looking bike either way. :D

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I was going to suggest trying to clean the rust off the exhaust with the Coca-Cola and aluminum foil method, but on looking closer, I think it's too far gone for that. Looks like a good candidate for sandblasting and black exhaust paint. I've seen them done that way with chrome heat shields and they look pretty good. Of course, you may be able to find a used chrome one in good condition, too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So I was able to diagnose where the oil is coming from under the bike. Besides general oil seeping out around most of the engine seals, there is a small hole in the left rear stator cover (where the shift lever is), which you can see in the picture below. Thankfully that is the extent of the damage to the underside! It could be a lot worse, so I'm happy it is something that can be easily replaced.

83XLX - I like the black exhaust idea. I think that would look good too. Still trying to figure out my plan for this, I get a new idea everyday.

Cover Hole.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
That hole is supposed to be there it's a weep hole for fluids that get in behind that cover which just covers the drive sprocket area. Leaks in that area usually come from the clutch actuator rod seal which you can replace without splitting the cases.

If it's coming from the drive that requires pulling the engine and splitting cases as that seal has a locating tab that locks into a slot inside the case wall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts