Honda Twins banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An ad popped up this morning for a running/driving Honda 550 with title :)

Previous owner was frustrated with ignition switch problems and we made a deal. I traded him my Ibanez PF guitar with case plus $200 for the bike. I want to learn guitar but it's been sitting untouched for over a year so it worked out perfect!

Will post pics after I pic it up.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: New Honda 550, pics on Monday

Now THATS the kinda deal I like. Everyone walks away happy!

Cant wait to see the pics :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts

mitchellsk said:
An ad popped up this morning for a running/driving Honda 550 with title :)
What year 550? I had a '75 model when I was stationed at Moffett NAS around '77. It was great fun. I think I ended up trading it for a '68 Nova. Bad move on my part.

I look forward to seeing the pictures.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a couple pics of the 1978 550. You can see it's seen some weather but the chrome is great and I'll try to rub the paint out some. It also has that ugly seat so I'll be looking for something else.

It seems to start pretty easy and runs great. The brake light works but not the running light. I've checked the bulb and fuses and will have to trace some connections.

The bike is all original, except the seat and mufflers, but it's complete and running on all cylinders with title. After I fix the tail light I can take it through inspection and put a plate on it.

Sweet trade for a $300 guitar I never use plus a little cash.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Like I said, the seat is not original. ;)

·
Registered
3,926 Posts

mitchellsk said:
I knew that, but you failed to mention anything about the model that the seat came from, so I thought I'd mention it..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Bird76Mojo said:
mitchellsk said:
I knew that, but you failed to mention anything about the model that the seat came from, so I thought I'd mention it..
I didn't "fail". I could have but It was irrelevant.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I sort of like that "ugly" seat :) Anyone know if it's interchangeable with the CB360T? I imagine the hinge and lock would need to be in the same place.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Pretty sweet!

I have a CB500 that i am currently messing around with. The word on the street is that they're fun bikes.

How many miles on the clock?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bone said:
I sort of like that "ugly" seat :) Anyone know if it's interchangeable with the CB360T? I imagine the hinge and lock would need to be in the same place.
I have a leftover 360 seat. Not the best shape but it's definately usable and the foam is good. The 360 seat is flat on the bottom though and this seat would most likely hit the side covers if you're using them.

This seat doesn't actually fit the 550. A previous owner cut the original seat pan in half, then screwed that to this seat so the latch would still work. I can't wait to get a correct seat.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
mitchellsk said:
Bone said:
I have a leftover 360 seat. Not the best shape but it's definately usable and the foam is good. The 360 seat is flat on the bottom though and this seat would most likely hit the side covers if you're using them.

This seat doesn't actually fit the 550. A previous owner cut the original seat pan in half, then screwed that to this seat so the latch would still work. I can't wait to get a correct seat.
theres a nice one on ebay, for as much as you paid for the bike?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CB ... ccessories

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I saw that but thanks. Patience will pay off and a seat will come up at a reasonable price :D

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
mitchellsk said:
Yes, I saw that but thanks. Patience will pay off and a seat will come up at a reasonable price :D

i know, i was pulling your chain.

the pans often show up pretty cheap.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts

mitchellsk said:
Bird76Mojo said:
mitchellsk said:
I didn't "fail". I could have but It was irrelevant.
I was simply mentioning it as an observation. It was not exactly irrelevant either. For anyone else it may just help to know what that 500T seat looks like on a 500/4.. You never know what someone else may run across.. I thought you already owned a 500T but was only trying to be friendly and offer a quick observation in the beginning, to possibly help you ID it for any potential sale, etc..

That said, I don't like your attitude towards me, so I'll stay out of this thread and offer no more observations.

Good luck with your new bike though.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Bird76Mojo said:
Good luck with your new bike though.
Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JeyLux said:
Pretty sweet!
I have a CB500 that i am currently messing around with. The word on the street is that they're fun bikes.
How many miles on the clock?
It seems pretty fun around the block and would be really quick with better breathing and less weight.

It has just over 16,000 miles.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Drove it about 15 miles today :D

But it runs 4k rpm at only 53 mph, yikes. No wonder, the sprocket is tiny:

Gotta get a bigger sprocket.

By the looks of this pic the bike needs more cleaning that I thought but it runs great and oh ya, I took it through inspection today and it's ready for a plate :)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
mitchellsk said:
Drove it about 15 miles today :D

But it runs 4k rpm at only 53 mph, yikes. No wonder, the sprocket is tiny:

Gotta get a bigger sprocket.

By the looks of this pic the bike needs more cleaning that I thought but it runs great and oh ya, I took it through inspection today and it's ready for a plate :)
That looks close to stock, it should be 34t, and 16t on the front i believe?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts