Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My name is Scott and I have a new addiction. I have recently been bitten by the CB Twin bug and stumbled upon this website. I have been reading here quite a bit before joining. This is a fantastic site. I am currently in the market for a CB450; hoping for a '74. I am located in New England. Just wanted to say hello.
Scott

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To define boundaries, I am looking for a smaller scale bike as I am 5'8" with a 31" inseam. In all honesty, this will be my first motorcycle since a little 50cc Honda during childhood. I like the size and looks of the CB's as well as Triumphs. If anyone out there feels the need to lean me one way or the other, just toss me a hint and I can take it. I have worked on vintage VW Beetles in the past. The peak of them being an 1960 with a 1776cc engine with dual 40mm carbs. It would lift the front tires ;) .

After looking at a 500T in person (http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/1904713382.html), I really feel comfortable around the CB Twins. Just for posting value, the same seller has one of these as well (http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/1877199397.html). I got the feeling from a few emails and phone calls that titles may be "hard to come by" on these bikes. I have also personally viewed a 1973 CB350 (http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/1852443595.html), but it may have been too late on that one. I really dig the "raised withers" (dog people will get that one) of the Black Bombers though. I am realistic enough to not expect too much in that realm though (http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/1910246795.html).....looks like a great part bike, but too much money for that much rust.

Anywho. Just typin' out loud.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome Ronny!

Things seem to be a bit steeper in price here in New England; maybe the Taxachusetts syndrome. Given all that I have heard and read about the 500T's, I am holding off for a decent shaped CB450. Not sure if the rumours regarding 500T's are justified or if they are just the awkward cousin. Seems to be more parts available for the 450's and less complaints, so....we will see.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Hi Scott
I have always prefered the build quality on the 450's however it is always a matter of presonal taste. Being a Brit I also like the Triumphs but an older Norton Vellocette or BSA would also be a nice find.
Have fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Nigel!

My father had a Triumph Bonneville back before I popped out in the world. Had to sell it when his "son" came along.

I just seem to really dig the shape and size of the aforementioned bikes. Maybe a bit 'o brit' in me afterall (for a "septic" that is....isn't that what the boys down under refer to us Yanks as? I'm keeping my options open, but the sentimental side of me would like to find a '74 CB450; not in immaculate/museum shape, but in tinker-worthy shape. Something fun to ride the 14 mile commute to-and-from-work I have in the better seasons. Not interested in dragstripping or racing. Just a spirited ride to work and back.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Hi Scott
That would be cool to get a 450 for the comute in nicer weather for sure. I have my old 450K0 see my profile pics. I bought this when I was 19 and had it ever since, 38 years now.
Not sure about "septic" sounds like cockney rhyming slang, but I was not born under the sound of the Bow Church bells, so I cant say it applies to me ;).
Funny you should say about your dad selling his Triumph due to you, I still cant understand why my wife was complaining (at 7 months pregnant) about riding pillion on my CX500. It had to go for 4 wheels. Women have strange ideas hey ho (still married at 30 yrs).
My 450 wouldn't win prizes, however it is ridden, which in my book is a darned sight more fun than looking at it imaculate in the living room, well you know what I mean.
I hope you find what you are looking for. What I can say though is also look for an old Brit bike as spares are still available easilly, and an old Brit single sounds wonderful, however you might upset the neighbours on a Sunday morning 3 miles away :D :D :D :oops:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts