Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a cb400a... yeah, a hondamatic
is my bike welcome here? :oops: it's a honda and it is a twin...

i've had a few hondas before; '86 rebel 250, '02 vlx600, '82 cb900, '94 magna 750, '76 cb550-four, and now my only bike being a blackbird cbr1100xx

I recently got rid of the cb550 because i wanted to make a cafe bike. i wanted to cut it up a bit, change the tank, seat and all but i couldn't get myself to do it. it was a bike in great condition with only 11k miles on it. so i sold it and been kinda looking to get another classic.

i'm picking up the '79 cb400a hondamatic this weekend. i am thinking of making a bobber out of it.
will post pics later.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
All are welcome here. Glad to have you!

I moved this over to the member intro section as well.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Another 400! We're gaining ground. :D

Given some of the other stuff on here I don't think your automatic will cause a lot of snickering. It will be interesting to hear what you think of it when you get it on the road.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nice man glad to have you. Tons of good info and good people.
-Dan

·
Registered
63 Posts
a friend of mine has two hondamatics. he likes them, and rides one regularly. sorry i don't know the years, but i do want to ride one purely because it is an obscure bike.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome. What year is the bike. I ask out of ignorance, but is riding an automatic motorcycle like riding a scooter? It would be fun to ride around on.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Looks to be in good shape and it has the kick starter. They dropped that in the later ones. There's something about a motorcycle with no kick starter that just doesn't seem right to me, but whatever.

I'll enjoy watching your progress.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i love the kick starter. :cool:
the battery is pretty much dead right now, so it's the only way i start it and it started with one or two kicks. the bike will be a bobber, with apes most likely, to clean up the bars i will probably get rid of the start button all together and move the run/on/off switch close to the battery. i have lots planned for this bike. i'm so excited. :mrgreen:

when i had my cb550, the kick starter was the only way i started it since the PO screwed up the starter button... and i never fixed it.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Nice looking 400, appears to be in great shape.

I find it weird that the automatic has a kick starter and my manual 400T doesn't, seems a bit backwards. You think the automatic would be geared more towards the rider that just wants to get on and ride and not deal with a kicker. Cool that is has it though, good find.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
HerrDeacon said:
I find it weird that the automatic has a kick starter and my manual 400T doesn't, seems a bit backwards. You think the automatic would be geared more towards the rider that just wants to get on and ride and not deal with a kicker. Cool that is has it though, good find.
The earliest CM and CB 400s all had the kickstarter, both the As and the Ts. I think some of the 79s did and some didn't, then all the 80 and 81s didn't have it. Don't know if this was for cost savings or if they just figured we were all getting too lazy to use it anyway.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wish my 400 had a kick start because that is where 90 % of my problems are!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HerrDeacon said:
Nice looking 400, appears to be in great shape.

it was a GREAT find. you'd be surprised what i got it for ;)
i cant wait to tear into it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts