Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
First post here on the forum!
I got a 1982 Honda CM450a Hondamatic with 10K miles that I will be bringing back to life. It has a vetter fairing and hard side-panniers.
Inherited it from wife's grandpa, who bought it from his brother, so technically, I'm the third owner of the bike and it has stayed in the family since brand new!

Here are some pics:

Got it about a week ago in a non-running condition.
Changed engine oil, spark plugs, removed carbs and un-stuck carb needles, drained old gas and replaced with new gas, and got it running this past weekend!
Will need to do few more things to get it road-worthy, but hey, at least it running now :D
Future plan of action:
1. Rebuild front forks
2. Adjust valves (and possibly timing chain)
3. Replace drive chain and sprockets
4. New Battery
5. And finally tires and valve stems

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Jim! Good to know about the balancer chain!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome, great to see another 400 series on the forum.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, started on replacing seals in the front forks of my 1982 Honda CM450A yesterday. Hopefully will be finishing tonight.
Now it's time to search for (drive) chain, and tires. Any recommendation on either?

Chain.
I found part numbers on partzilla diagrams for the chain:
DID50DS-102L and RK50KS-102L, and they are out of stock on partzilla. Where could I buy a modern-day equivalent of those chains (or should I just try to resurrect my 32-year-old chain that was probably never replaced)? What "modern" part number should I search by?

Tires.
I looked up some tire conversion charts, but wanted to get some advice from you guys.
Front (currently have ancient 3.50-S18):
100/90-18
100/100-18
110/80-18
110/90-18
120/80-18

Rear (currently have ancient 4.60-S16):
120/80-16
110/90-16
120/90-16

I understand that the first number is width, second is aspect ratio, and third is rim diameter. Any reason to pick one tire size over another? Did I get all my tire size conversions correct?

Thank you so much, guys!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just another quick update. Got the fork seals finished up.
Ordered the tires: Kenda K657's front and back (Front 100/90-18, and Back 120/90-16).

Got the JT sprockets for front (JTF278-17) and back (JTR246-34), as well as RK chain (Part Number 530XSOZ1-102).
Installed the tires and new valve stems, as well as sprockets and chain.
And took her for a ride :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts