Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

First post here and hopefully the first of many. Just sold my '66 Mustang and looking to buy my first motorcycle. Really excited about the Honda CL350 Scramblers. Just a nice simple classic looking bike! I'm looking for a project and something to tool around town and explore the vast array of fireroads we have up here in the mountains of Colorado. Have a few friends that are into vintage dirtbikes and checking out some of their restorations really got me excited for a new project, not to mention learning to ride :)

As I'm new to the bike game and Hondas, I'd like to get a better idea of part availability, going rate on bikes, etc. Looking at a '69 CL350 on Craigslist that appears to be missing side covers, signal indicators, speedo cable, and maybe brake lights. That's just what I can see from the pictures, so who knows what else, especially with my untrained eye. I'm guessing new tires will be needed at the least. It does look pretty clean though. Just wondering how hard these parts are gonna be to find and what you think a bike should go for when missing parts like this. My gut tells me no more than $1,000 but I don't know much other than random listings I see here and there.

Owner description and pics...

"All original, all there 50 year old bike! Previous owner let it sit for several years, I got it running, but it could still use a good carb clean and tune. Drives down the road and shifts thru the gears nicely. Just don’t have the time to restore it how I would like to and other projects have taken over. This bike is a solid 7-8 out of ten. It isn’t perfect, but it could be a really nice driver. Clean title."

honda1.jpg
honda2.jpg

·
Registered
641 Posts
Go with your gut, every area is different in what is supply and demand. Blinkers, no problem, plenty aftermarket out there. I see the taillight assembly on bike, if its just a lenz, still no problem. And there are a ton of options for brake light assemblys. Thats a nice looking bike, i would take a friend who knows something about bikes to help look it over. But from just what i see, i would give a thousand for it. I gave a 1000.00 for this here in Wisconsin, plus a CB350 parts bike with title, which was not in add. That is it below, that 69 is in pretty decent shape. New tires, more than likely, good luck!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
641 Posts
There is alot of 350 builds here, you will find plenty of info in them. I look to ebay for alot of my bikes needs. Oh and there is a sticky around here on all the things you need to check over and replace. Brakes being numbet 1 for sure, they tend to delaminate after 40-50 years.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Looks like a pretty nice bike. FYI, the front fender and chain guard aren't correct. I don't know what fender is on the front - looks sort of like a cut-down CB fender. The chain guard is from a newer model - the '68-'69 chain guards were chrome and the rear portion was shaped differently. There's something odd going on with the kickstarter, too. I'd look at the underside of the muffler (if it still has the stock one) for holes rusted in it. Of course, if you aren't a purist, a lot of what I posted won't really matter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone. Are the side covers hard to come by? Sounds like the bike needs tires, missing battery, probably brakes. He said it fires up off the kick start, but needs full carb clean and tune. Idles ok, but doesn't run consistent enough to drive down the road. Should I be doing a compression test? Seems like a motor and carb like this should be pretty easy to rebuild, but don't want to get something that's not worth restoring. After hearing this $1800 asking seems real steep. I have some more pics coming soon!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thanks everyone. Are the side covers hard to come by? Sounds like the bike needs tires, probably brakes. He said it fires up off the kick start, but needs full carb clean and tune. Idles ok, but doesn't run consistent enough to drive down the road. After hearing this $1800 asking seems real steep.
No there is a vendor who is making them. Ill look and see if i can find them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seller just replied with photos of original side covers (not installed). Thanks for checking though!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are some more pictures. Guy says it runs well enough to idle, but not to drive down the road. Chain looks pretty rusty as well. Is all of this a red flag? Also looks to be no battery. Excited as this is the first CL that's been for sale lately in my area and body looks pretty nice, but don't wanna get something that isn't worth working on mechanically.

Can't wait to start digging through a service manual and learning all about these bikes.

IMG_0524.jpg IMG_4889.JPG IMG_4894.JPG IMG_4895.JPG IMG_4905.JPG IMG_4900.JPG IMG_4902.JPG

·
Registered
581 Posts
Good thing they have the covers. The real ones are metal and hard to replace in nice condition. People forget to put them on before the exhaust, then you can't get the left one on. This guy probably did that end then wanted both sides to match. Paint looks pretty nice, the parts are mostly all right from what I can see. Tires will be about $350-400 including installation. If it already runs but "needs a tune" most likely you have a pretty extensive carb rebuild in front of you. Maybe another $100 depending on what it needs. You can get almost everything you need off of 4into1. I am currently working on a 360 that I got a couple weeks ago. my expenses are shown below. My dad also has a 1970 CL350 and I ride it. good bikes. It can hold 75mph Capture.JPG on the interstate no problem.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just saw the post with more photos. It is a pretty good deal at $1000 unless the mileage is showing 15+. I know someone personally who would buy it and have it shipped to WA for about that price. As you can see I paid a lot more for the 360 I just grabbed, and I got fair deal.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Steve, gotta ask yourself, is this what i want. Because it will be a commitment once you buy it. To get it running and road worthy could cost a thousand more, or less. Just from blowing up pics it looks like someone started to redo it. Carbs look spotless, rusty chain, new chain for sure. New brake shoes, new tires, tubes, rim strips, battery. Heck you might have a good running bike there. You really wont know till you tear it open. See how low you can get him down.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome thanks guys. Definitely looking a project and not scared of putting money into it, just don't really know what to look out for on these old Hondas and don't want to get ripped off or end up having to put in way more money than it's worth. He's asking $1,800. I'm going to look at it and see what I can do on it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Oh for some reason I thought it was $1000. $1800 is too much. The reason I paid that much for mine was because it was a little more complete, assembled, and had ok tires.

Go and look at it and crouch down and look at it really hard and silent. I find when I buy bikes my best way to negotiate is just to be quiet and look at the bike. You can ignore the seller while they ramble. If you don't know about bikes then nothing he says can help you anyways. Just look at it really hard and think about what it needs and then come up with a price that makes you happy. With tires and licensing and parts you're going to be at least $1000 get it going. It won't be a $2800 bike after that. Try Look at him seriously and offer 1200. Be really hard and maybe you get it for 1400.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
The white side covers are plastic. I bought new tires, tubes, and rim strips for mine for about $125 and put them on myself. That bike is probably a '68 that was titled and sold as a '69. It was legal and quite common back then to sell leftover bikes as current year models. If it runs and doesn't make strange noises or smoke, it might be worth a bit more than $1000. The early 350 models are generally more desirable than the later ones and sell for more.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Go with your gut, every area is different in what is supply and demand. Blinkers, no problem, plenty aftermarket out there. I see the taillight assembly on bike, if its just a lenz, still no problem. And there are a ton of options for brake light assemblys. Thats a nice looking bike, i would take a friend who knows something about bikes to help look it over. But from just what i see, i would give a thousand for it. I gave a 1000.00 for this here in Wisconsin, plus a CB350 parts bike with title, which was not in add. That is it below, that 69 is in pretty decent shape. New tires, more than likely, good luck!

did you make those pipes? how much louder is it without the mufflers? did a double take then I saw that. They are straight pipes right?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hey singletooth, i did not make them, but they came with the bike. They were an extra set to go with the originals. Best i can figure, they were made by someone who knew how to build pipes. They copy this look of a cl77 honda 305, plus have buildt in baffles. They are loud, but not deafening, i love the sound.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts