Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I just became a victim of the economy and lost my job. So now I have more than enough time to work on my projects and surf the internet forums I have lurked in days past. Bad news is I will have less money to spend on the projects so I am going to have to pull it off myself.

Anyway.

1973 CB350 about as it was when I drug it home. It was supposed to be a WERA Vintage GP350 bike but I am not racing anytime soon. So I am just going to build it as a cafe since I have many of the needed parts. If fortune every smiles on me again I will just buy a race bike already built.

1972 CB450 on the truck coming home. I need to get to the shop next week and finish pulling the motor so I can clean up the frame and suspension for paint/powder. I am thinking street tracker'ish without modifying the frame any if I ever want to return to stock or sell.

I sold a Honda twisted twin earlier this summer to help fund some of these projects. 1982 CX500 Custom. Sort of miss the ol girl.

I have a couple Bandits as well for the daily rides and longer touring.

I will have to put up some build threads on the Honda's when I get a bit more done.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Welcome, I'm in the same boat as you, lost my job a couple of months ago. Looks like you have some nice projects to keep you busy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brown Bomber said:
Welcome, I'm in the same boat as you, lost my job a couple of months ago. Looks like you have some nice projects to keep you busy.
What sort of business were you in? Mine was manufacturing, mostly military stuff that has contracts to be held up in Congress, Senate, DOD, ect. Even when the spending gets approved it takes months to the purchase orders to trickle down to the suppliers.

Unfortunately for the bank account I bought nearly 800 square feet of wood flooring for the house just before I was let go. I have to get a couple house projects done and clean up the garage before I can really get going on the bikes. The 450 is at the shop so I can work on it a little easier just have to get out of the house and make the drive in.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome to the group. From what I see I suspect the buying a race bike "already built" may not really fit your style!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
J-T said:
Welcome to the group. From what I see I suspect the buying a race bike "already built" may not really fit your style!
Actually it is. I used to race sports cars. I bought, built, and worked on more than my fair share. It is almost always better to buy someone's car or project. Even if you have to redo things you almost always buy the good bits for pennies on the dollar. The one catch is buying something you know intimately. For example you always gain a ton of understanding about your vehicle if you built it. You can repair it and work on it so much easier. So if you have built up a half a dozen Ford Mustangs than you do not gain much advantage if you build up another one. You have already gained the knowledge. If you buy something you have never worked on you have a steep learning curve.

If I finish the 350 and the 450 I will have a pretty good understanding of Honda twins so buying a built 350 race bike will be a no brainer. I will more or less get all my safety wire holes drilled, some partially worn race rubber, and some 18" alloy hoops all laced up are ready to go.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
l5cygx said:
Man, I love that CX500. Too bad you had to sell her.
Yup it was a great bike. It absolutely loved back roads and around town riding. Ton of torque and pull in the lower ranges. It lived for 35 to 55 mph and just felt strong there. It was asking too much of it if you started trying long runs 75 or 80mph. It would do it but it just seemed to be working a bit hard. It was however woefully under-braked and just a bit cramped in the seating position for me. If it had been more comfortable to ride more than 100 or 150 miles I might have held on to it. It was also a small tanked bike so 90 to 100 miles was into the reserve.

I loved the layout of that motor though. I could drain the engine oil/filter, drain the rear differential oil, pop the cam chain tensioner for adjustment, set the valve clearance, and refill the fluids in 30 minutes with out a problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way some of you may find it interesting that I traded a gun for the 72 CB450. It had been in a friends garage for nearly 20 years under a cover. I knew he was coveting one of the AR-15's I built so a plan was hatched. It took a couple years to talk him into it since he had dreams of restoration and riding but he finally gave in. I was not shooting the AR anyway so....

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
You ever have another spare AR15 (or any other firearm) and need a bike, then get ahold of me! :shock:

P.S. Firearm talk seems to have been a really touchy subject here in the past so it may be better if kept to firearm related websites or PM's if on here.. ;)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
You ever have another spare AR15 (or any other firearm) and need a bike, then get ahold of me! :shock:

P.S. Firearm talk seems to have been a really touchy subject here in the past so it may be better if kept to firearm related websites or PM's if on here.. ;)

GB :mrgreen:
Well hopefully no one will take it as firearm talk other than it was an interesting way to acquire a bike in a trade. Gives the bike a bit of an interesting back story. I have known about the bike for at least 6 years and know it has been in storage for at least 20 years.

As a side note I will keep the gun talk to a minimum, my profession actually involves the manufacturing of them so I often refer to the manufacturing processes or finish processes in terms of firearms out of habit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts