Honda Twins banner

New here (and new to twins!)

676 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  chaindrivecharlie 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Today I took home a new-to-me '73 CL350. She is currently sitting at just under 8600 miles. She is in 'okay' shape, definitely needs some TLC and I am looking forward to it.

Here is the glamour shot from the PO:

And here are some more:

According to the PO, the head gasket is leaky and needs replaced, and needs a new set of plugs and a battery. From my quick once over, tires/chain/sprox will all need replacing, carbs will need cleaned, the seat lock is busted, and the tank is rusty/scaled. I am sure there will be more, but I can't wait to get this thing running again.

See less See more
#7 ·
Maybe so! I have no illusion of this thing going back to factory, and I like the cafe look (well, it is growing on me). However, beyond the big stuff, the details look good. The frame seems in very good shape, and there is virtually no rust. It's a project, right?!:cool:

chaindrivecharlie said:
Hello and welcome to the forum!
I agree, it is a nice looking bike, looks like it will make a great everyday rider.
And you maybe new here and to twins, but it sounds like your not new to motorcycles.
Thanks, that is the hope. And you are right - not that new to bikes. I've owned 3 CBR600F1's, a Shadow 750 and still have a '01 Valkyrie. The Valk is a great bike, but it is a beast. Insurance and fuel is brutal on it, and for the next couple of years I will not be able to get a ton of riding in (have a toddler, am taxi driver to daycare). Bring in the 350 - cheap to insure and run, and a bit better for the twisty backroads we have here.

ancientdad said:
Welcome - and the bike does indeed look pretty nice. I like the exhaust mod, it has a bit of a Norton scrambler pipe look to it. Plenty of help here for the 350 in case you run into a situation you need advice for... and welcome to the friendliest forum on the internet!
Thanks. I do really like the exhaust on it. It comes with the stock pea shooters, but I will see how these ones sound (there doesn't look to be a ton of restriction, so they might be a bit loud)

Polish said:
Hello and very nice bike. Here is a recommended checklist for your new addition:https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/67...-old-bike.html

have fun and you'll find lots of expert advice here.
Thanks for that. I will for sure follow along. I haven't decided if I want to do a build thread or not. I am maybe not as discerning as some of the purebreads on here, and don't want to offend anyones eyes! :p

#9 ·
I am maybe not as discerning as some of the purebreads on here, and don't want to offend anyones eyes! :p
Not as many "purebreads" here as you might think - after all, look at my bike, but know that I'm also a big believer in keeping it close to stock for value and tradition-longevity reasons (there's a story behind my build, which is why it looks like it does) - but the general consensus here is it's yours, do with it what makes you happy. You'll find that people will voice their opinions on occasion but not bash you for what you like or want to do... we all have our opinions (I'm not that fond of brown seats or café styling, but it's all good) but no one will beat you up about what you do with your bike. OTOH... if you ask questions and move on to another question before at least acknowledging the previous question's answer from those who help you, you'll find that the group of people answering you will thin out in a hurry... we're not looking for praise nearly as much as we're looking for acknowledgement of the time so many of us put into offering help and solving problems. We, as a group of many dedicated regularly-contributing guys, have walked people (including a young lady who rebuilt her 350) through engine rebuilds on their first attempt as long as they are mechanically inclined, willing to listen and go step by step. we always look forward to seeing new projects, and we are absolutely not concerned about whether it's a rat bike or a pristine restoration - it's all fun to watch, so start a thread in the appropriate section and post plenty of pictures... and in case you haven't heard it yet - no pictures, it didn't happen :lol:

#5 ·
Welcome - and the bike does indeed look pretty nice. I like the exhaust mod, it has a bit of a Norton scrambler pipe look to it. Plenty of help here for the 350 in case you run into a situation you need advice for... and welcome to the friendliest forum on the internet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.