Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been riding my 2016 Triumph Bonneville T100 Black and decided to I wanted to build a bike so Im
starting my first build with a 1969 CB350 Blue/Green, White.
She's in rough shape so I'll be stripping her to the frame and replacing most of it.
Wish me luck

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Unless there's a massive dent in that tank that isn't visible in this picture (picture won't zoom) or the paint on the other side is horrible, you should leave it as is... very few look that good at this age, and that color is awesome. Nice find!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I thought you said it was in rough shape. Nice bike have fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless there's a massive dent in that tank that isn't visible in this picture (picture won't zoom) or the paint on the other side is horrible, you should leave it as is... very few look that good at this age, and that color is awesome. Nice find!
Overall it’s in poor shape. The tank and the frame are really the only useable parts on this. There is a dent in the tank but not quite as bad as the pic makes it out to be. The goal is to do a frame up, modern Cafe build with this color scheme. We shall see what’s reusable once I start tearing into it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought you said it was in rough shape. Nice bike have fun.
From a non mechanic stand point, it is. This is my first build so it will be challenging. YouTube and this forum will be my best friends for the next year. Glad it doesn’t look as bad as I think it is.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Glad it doesn’t look as bad as I think it is.
If your picture would zoom, we might be more inclined to agree. when most of us here see one that looks like a decent survivor, we tend to think that it should be restored to original while retaining the patina if possible - you just don't seem them around much anymore still looking original. It could always be cut up later to make it something other than stock, but once the cuts are made it's a lot harder to turn back

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well, I guess I can say good-bye to another survivor! Sad to see this continually happening when there's gotta be plenty of abandoned projects to practice cutting on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
as above. if you want to do a modern cafe build, find another bike. the one you have is far more valuable as it is. here in the UK, the hipster thing is in full swing. guys in serious beards and short hair, almost always in a check shirt have cottoned on to the custom bike trend and are butchering good classic bikes in order to 'fit in'. a few years down the line, genuine enthusiasts will be cutting off the seat hoops and stupid (brown, always brown) seats, replacing the moronic retard firestone tyres and re-fitting original rims and spokes with real tyres and searching for all the original parts ripped off not so long ago.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
as above. if you want to do a modern cafe build, find another bike. the one you have is far more valuable as it is. here in the UK, the hipster thing is in full swing. guys in serious beards and short hair, almost always in a check shirt have cottoned on to the custom bike trend and are butchering good classic bikes in order to 'fit in'. a few years down the line, genuine enthusiasts will be cutting off the seat hoops and stupid (brown, always brown) seats, replacing the moronic retard firestone tyres and re-fitting original rims and spokes with real tyres and searching for all the original parts ripped off not so long ago.
Disclaimer: yes, I built a brat - called that only by today's terms - but it was essentially a street-legal remake of my drag bike from decades ago that mostly resembles today's definition of a brat. that said, I completely agree with everything you said...

·
Registered
12 Posts
i suppose it was kind of harsh on only my fourth post. it may be different for you guys in the US, but bikes in real 'survivor' condition are rare in this country now, although they do appear every now and then. i have to admit to creating a streetfighter out of my cx500 many years ago, long before the term came into being. i always preferred the rear set/high bar combo even in the early eighties.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
i suppose it was kind of harsh on only my fourth post. it may be different for you guys in the US, but bikes in real 'survivor' condition are rare in this country now, although they do appear every now and then. i have to admit to creating a streetfighter out of my cx500 many years ago, long before the term came into being. i always preferred the rear set/high bar combo even in the early eighties.
I don't think so - many here are a bit blunt at times when offering an opinion, I can be as well but when you're right, you're right... and in your situation, I can see how it would feel even more offensive to see one of a smaller group of available survivors get ruined by a trend. (and I couldn't disagree with the distaste for the awful brown seat choice, but that's just me) Hey, feeling strongly about something is how we keep these bikes in circulation. As for riding position, I've been using the rear pegs on every bike I've owned for decades regardless of what bars I've used or the position of the foot controls. the change of position of the hips and lower back when moving my feet to the rear pegs have been the reason for it, as it keeps my back from being stiffer than it would already be when I arrive at my destination

1 - 13 of 13 Posts