Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Folks,

Just a quick introduction. Came into a complete 1971 SL350 a few weeks ago. Turns out it was parked and forgotten in a friends parents garage since 1977. It's the bike I've always wanted, and now it's mine.

I've got a long way to go. I'm sure I'll be seeking advice and direction here often. This forum has already been incredibly helpful! I look forward to interacting with you all and am especially interested in connecting to other SL350 enthusiasts.

Cheers!

David

SL350 love.jpg

2014 Yamaha XT1200 Super Ténéré "Jupiter"
1971 Honda SL350 (barn-find and current obsession)
ex 2007 BMW R1200R "Kristall Grau"
ex 2007 BMW F650GS "Diablo Rojo"

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wow, nice find there David. You've found the right place on the 'net for guidance and expertise. We'll be following your efforts - don't forget to share lots of pictures along the way!

·
Super Moderator
10,329 Posts
Welcome David, and as said above, great find - the SL350K1 is one of my favorites bikes, had one in high school and wish I still did. Looking forward to watching your progress and as also mentioned above, be sure to post plenty of pictures for us to follow along

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, John,

That interesting thing was parked along side the SL in the owners garage. It's a 1968 125cc Ward's Riverside. As I understand it, the Italian manufacturer Benelli produced them for Montgomery Wards for the American market. My cousin (who went with me to help trailer home the SL) purchased it on the spot and has taken it on as a project.

David

Riverside.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,715 Posts
Oh how I wanted one of those as a teen. Well, OK, if it had wheels and an engine I wanted it, but still...............

Appears to be pretty much complete, probably a good thing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well working a few hours here and there "Suki" is in fairly good mechanical shape. Here are a few shots of her with her granddaughter.

Still need to check valves, cam chain, and timing. She's a hoot to ride. I've been taking her on neighborhood spins and out for coffee to get it out of my system. Then I'll work over the front end for starters. Cosmetically I'm not going to do much more than polish the parts I can easily remove and try to address rust and corrosion. At least that's what I tell myself. Not sure how I'll address the rotting mufflers. A partial list of parts, etc., follows:

Oil change (Shell Rotella 15W/40)
New plugs (B8ES NGK)
New condenser
New Motion-Pro cables (clutch, front brake-custom built, throttle-custom built, speedometer, and tachometer)
New Chain (Firepower Heavy Duty 520/100-link)
New Battery (Motobatt MB5U)
New hand levers (NOS)
New rubber (foot pegs, fuel cap, tank bumpers and rear strap, kick-start lever and gear shift lever)
New tires (Duro HF307 All-Terrain; 3.25-19 front, 4.00-18 rear)
New fuel line (Genuine Honda Black Fuel Line - 5.5mm)
Uni Air Filter (hand fabricated to fit the OEM holders)
Lower engine stainless steel Allen bolt set
Deluxe Carburetor Rebuild Kit with Floats

1 - 9 of 9 Posts