Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
59 year old father of 2 grandfather of 3, going on 4.

Retired fighter pilot......nothing with it's wheels on the ground is going to impress me with how fast it can go and I've had the crap scared out of me enough times already. Smooth and steady is more my style these days.

Hadn't ridden a bike for nearly 40 years but always had the itch. Friend had 2 bikes and his wife was really P.O'd. Now he and I each have 1 bike and both wives are just normal P.O'd.

Current ride is a Yamaha XJ550 Maxim. Nice bike but I've always been a fan of the Honda parallel twins so I'm looking for one to spend the winter bringing up to speed. In South Dakota that gives me plenty of time.

I've pretty much settled on finding a CM400C or T as I got to ride one and found it to be very comfortable and big enough for the type of short trip riding I do. The ones I've found for sale around here have been over priced (pushing $1,000 for something with a brush on paint job and barely runs) and advertised by folks more schooled in photoshop than bike maintenance.

I got a lot of help with my Yamaha from a forum called XJBikes.com and look forward to a similar experience here.

Thanks in advance.

JT

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Welcome to the group JT.

You'd be surprised at how impressed you can be with speed on 2 wheels. My endurance racing teammate is a retired Hornet pilot for the Marines. He sure does miss the fighter jet stuff but his neck appreciates it and he says the thrill of the roadrace track is a nice substitute.

What service did you fly for?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flew with the South Dakota Air Guard for 25 years. F-100D ( one of several aircraft nicknamed the widowmaker or lead sled), A-7D, and F-16C.

I understand about being impressed by speed on 2 wheels but my chronological positioning at a point where I sometimes exhibit the symptons of the onset of maturity have led me to get my thrills in ways which don't present as much potential re-structuring of my somewhat less flexible frame.

Really look forward to sharing experiences with a bunch of other Honda fans and especially to learning my way around one (if I ever find one that won't cost more to buy than it will be worth after I get it fixed up).

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
" if I ever find one that won't cost more to buy than it will be worth after I get it fixed up)."....
That almost never happens...If you get it cheap, it will cost the difference to fix....If you want and like it, buy it...You only live once!....
:lol: Steve

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found one and no, I'm never going to realize a profit on this project (well, not monetarily anyway).

I'll put it up on the projects page.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts