Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just droppin in to say hello, just got a 1969 CL350 for a steal, so the first logical thing to do is get on a forum and show it off! got this bad boy for $900 running and riding. the electrical looks like a nightmare. It wont start without a jump and only stays running at higher revs. one of the carbs has a massive leak at the bottom, probably the drain plug seal, but here she is! going to get it going for the GF this winter. I will def be reading up on these on the forum for sure. Please hit me with any tips or knowledge!

Mine is the xs650.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Luxury vehicle

·
Registered
756 Posts
You in Phoenix? Bob's is the country's (world's?) biggest Japanese bike junkyard, on Elwood (just north of Broadway) in between 7th and 16th streets. Acres of old bikes including Honda CBs, warehouses full of parts, and a shop with a lot of OEM and aftermarket stuff. Great guys too.

Float bowl leak could be improper float height, cracked overflow tubes, bad float valve. Drain plug is just a screw with a gasket, might start there as it's easy. For the electrical, could be a bad battery or something in the charging system (stator, rectifier) or wiring... Good luck!

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Wow. Nice find. Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Love the Bike. - My favorite Exhaust is the Early CL's

Electrical - These bikes require a fully charged Battery.

The Coils Require the Battery to Charge ND THE charging system run in the red below 3500 RPM.
That would be why if you Jump it you have to keep it fully rev'd above 3500 or it will die.

Leaking Carbs - the most common is the Brass Overflow tube that come up inside the float bowl gets hairline cracks.
Easy Fix - Clean Up with fine sandpaper & Solder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Love the Bike. - My favorite Exhaust is the Early CL's

Electrical - These bikes require a fully charged Battery.

The Coils Require the Battery to Charge ND THE charging system run in the red below 3500 RPM.
That would be why if you Jump it you have to keep it fully rev'd above 3500 or it will die.

Leaking Carbs - the most common is the Brass Overflow tube that come up inside the float bowl gets hairline cracks.
Easy Fix - Clean Up with fine sandpaper & Solder.
Wow, great responses everyone, thank you!

Carbs are aftermarket i think

awesome i will definitely charge the battery and see if that helps. Someone botched the wiring so I for sure want to replace it. I talked to forum member " pawelzak " about a new wiring harness rec/regulator combo. I also want to put a Ricks Motorsports stator as well in it.
here is the current state of the electrical, does it look some what original ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You in Phoenix? Bob's is the country's (world's?) biggest Japanese bike junkyard, on Elwood (just north of Broadway) in between 7th and 16th streets. Acres of old bikes including Honda CBs, warehouses full of parts, and a shop with a lot of OEM and aftermarket stuff. Great guys too.

Float bowl leak could be improper float height, cracked overflow tubes, bad float valve. Drain plug is just a screw with a gasket, might start there as it's easy. For the electrical, could be a bad battery or something in the charging system (stator, rectifier) or wiring... Good luck!
I had no idea im going to defiantly check it out this weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.