Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this GREAT grip installation guide (which may also work on other rubber parts as well) with some things Id never even thought of to make the job super EZ :cool:

Installation Instructions

Note: The left grip has a 22 mm ID and the right grip (throttle side) has a 24 mm ID These dimensions are marked on the inboard end of each grip.n Instructions

Carefully remove your old grips. Don't scratch the chrome.
Thoroughly clean handlebar with contact cleaner or alcohol. This is the most crucial step!

Method A:
Carefully pierce the end of one handlebar grip with an ice pick, awl or small nail.
Using a nozzle attachment on the end of an air compressor hose, blow the grip into position using compressed air. This is surprisingly quick and fun!
Repeat for the other side.

Method B:
Apply soapy water or alcohol to inside of grip and bar.
Slide grip onto bar, pushing and twisting until it is properly positioned.
Allow grips to dry for 24 hours before use (crucial).

Method C:
Apply cheap hair spray to inside of grip and bar (White Rain is my personal favorite).
Let the hair spray dry to the touch, then reapply a small amount of additional hair spray to both surfaces.
Slide grip onto bar, pushing and twisting until it is properly positioned.
Allow grips to dry for 24 hours before use (crucial).

I've used all 3 methods successfully. Since I'm rather lazy, I prefer the compressed air method. Also, with the compressed air method, you can ride right away.

If you are really anal, these grips have 3 grooves molded into them so you can wrap the grips with safety wire for an added measure of security. I've never found this necessary. The manufacturer recommends this for competition use in wet conditions.

"This Technical Tip is provided courtesy of Randall Washington, owner of Randakk's Cycle Shakk, LLC."

http://randakks.com/Grips.htm

:cool: :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
HerrDeacon said:
I've used both the soapy water and hair spray and found them good. I'll have to try the compressor, sounds cool.
I've used the air nozzle method and it works great as long as there is a plug in the end of the handlebar, like clip ons. If the end of the handlebar is open then obviously it won't work.

·
Registered
58 Posts
MNellis said:
HerrDeacon said:
I've used both the soapy water and hair spray and found them good. I'll have to try the compressor, sounds cool.
I've used the air nozzle method and it works great as long as there is a plug in the end of the handlebar, like clip ons. If the end of the handlebar is open then obviously it won't work.
I installed a pair of OEM Honda grips on my 360 today and used plain water. I've used this method in the past with good results, but you must work FAST. . . As mentioned, the air nozzle method did not work.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I have done the air compressor trick a few times. I don't like it, as it's possible for them to rotate still.

All of my grips get 3M automotive contact adhesive on them now. spray the bar, and the grip, slide it on in a hurry. Never a slipping grip. Did this on my bmx race bikes, and now my motorcycles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
JeyLux said:
I have done the air compressor trick a few times. I don't like it, as it's possible for them to rotate still.

All of my grips get 3M automotive contact adhesive on them now. spray the bar, and the grip, slide it on in a hurry. Never a slipping grip. Did this on my bmx race bikes, and now my motorcycles.
A thin long slot screwdriver and WD-40 will take off old grips. Gently work around the rubber with the screwdriver while shooting in the WD-40 liberally. I've done this on a couple of bikes with grips known to be tough to remove and it works like a charm. I haven't tried it on an old bike, but I don't think it would be any different. It's obviously easier if the bar ends are open and you can work from the outside.

Wipe down the bars with alcohol afterwards. You don't want grit or lubricant on there when you install the new ones!

Superglue also works for installing grips, just use it SPARINGLY. As others have said, slide on the new grips and get them set in one fluid motion (don't stop!) ALWAYS dry-fit the new ones first.

3M contact adhesive is great stuff too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts