Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have old Honda CB 200, and I was thinking about replacing front suspension with matching forks from newer motorcycle (for example 1992 Honda CB 250). Is this a good idea? My current fork is a complete mess and I want more reliable hydraulic brakes.

·
Administrator
12,942 Posts
Hi, I have old Honda CB 200, and I was thinking about replacing front suspension with matching forks from newer motorcycle (for example 1992 Honda CB 250). Is this a good idea? My current fork is a complete mess and I want more reliable hydraulic brakes.
There are many possibilities depending on how much work and/or money you want to do or spend.
Since this is your first post here, please take a look at this - thanks
Critical - READ BEFORE YOUR FIRST POST

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are these possibilities? Is Honda CB 250 a good option, or are there any good custom parts? I don't mind spending some money.

·
Administrator
12,942 Posts
What are these possibilities? Is Honda CB 250 a good option, or are there any good custom parts? I don't mind spending some money.
There are others here who are more well-versed in front end swaps, they'll be along to advise you better.
Please check your Conversations

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Hi Piotr, welcome.

Choosing a front end involves several concerns. 1. finding suitable steering bearings to adapt parts from another bike. 2. Steering stem length. 3. Steering stops. 4. Overall fork length.

You can find which other bikes use the same steering bearings here:Fork conversion | All Balls Racing
But thats just bearings and there would be plenty of other research left to do before making a decision.

Or you can just bolt on the front end from a similar model that has the traits you desire. Do you want to stay with a spoked wheel?

Another method is to use your existing steering stem, grind off the weld at the bottom of your triple tree and press the stem out, then press it into the lower triple tree of your chosen new front end and weld, then bolt it on with your stock steering bearings and ride.

Another concern is your speedometer, a different size front wheel will affect speedometer accuracy so choose a wheel of the same size.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
What's the length of the steering head on your frame? I have a US spec 1992 CB250 Nighthawk I can measure for comparison, maybe it'll be that easy?

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
If it's any help, CD250u forks fit straight into CB200 yokes, and the existing axle, spacers and front wheel fit the CD250u forks. The fork tubes are longer than the CB175K7 / CB200 items, and need to be raised through the yokes.

Here's my CB175 frame, with CB200 yokes, CD250u fork legs and CB175 front wheel. CD250u came with a spoked front wheel and hydraulic disk brake, so this ought to be a simple swap.

I don't know if the CD250u forks are the same as the CB250 Nighthawk items.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Disc offset may be an issue, if you wish to use the CB200 disc with the CD250u hydraulic caliper, you'd have to see if it lined up OK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts