Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new here but not new to motorcycle forums having been in many as my motorcycle garage contents changed. From having five rare Japanese classics taking up too much room in the garage I sold them off one by one until I was without, at first it didn't bother me then I became aware I was missing something and knew exactly what it was. Got to have a bike in there.

I looked around and thought how about a Honda? An early 70s CB750 was my first vision but I soon realized it was to big so I considered the CB450 K5 and bought a decent U.S. model in red, having said that it won't be delivered until Tuesday, two days off.

Anyway now I'm here with a lot of reading to absorb.

Z

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Welcome to the forum, ziggy. +1 on pics.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Welcome, love the name

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome, happy riding

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm pleased with it but it's not quite as good as in the photo.

It won't tick over and it spits back through the carbs either with the filters on or off, I've had the carbs off and stripped today, cleaned the jets but they did look pretty clean, will try running it tomorrow, any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm close to Swansea Alex, too far away.

Update, put the carbs back and had the engine running on tick over just on the L/H cylinder, connected up the R/H and couldn't get it to tick over and it started to spit back through the R/H carb. Checked the ignition timing and the R/H was slightly retarded, adjusted this but it threw the L/H out, no matter how many times I tried I couldn't get both cylinders set correctly to the timing marks. Am I missing something?

Managed it today, got the timing sorted, not bang on but darn close, did it by adjusting the points gaps accordingly but within spec, ticks over now and doesn't spit back through the R/H carb, result.

Been reading about electronic ignition for these bikes, seems it's not only me who has problems setting up the points and timing, pity no one warned me of this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.