Honda Twins banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
The new nuts have a different pitch thread, from the photo it is clearly finer, i.e., more threads per inch.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Then you're looking for the 1979 CM400 T or A forks, only way it's going to happen w/o re-threading the existing forks. There may not be enough meat to re-thread them.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Those are the ones. Not a bad price either.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got a question I'd like to get a meaner lower stance my original ones I pushed thru the trees to lower it are there any other Honda forks I can get to get a lower stance?

·
Registered
399 Posts
That's a question for LDR. He'll be along shortly.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
With stock forks you can lower them @1" before you run into interference problems with the lower triple. You don't want the tire/fender bottoming into the triple. Also by lowering the front you have to lower the rear the same amount to maintain steering geometry and balance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a question...can I drain the new fork oil I put in the old forks and reuse for the new ones I'm getting? it's been sitting in the old forks with the new nuts that won't fit for about 2 weeks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also found some 79 hondamatic forks for a good price I have a question about the springs? Are the springs different than say a t model?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I have a question...can I drain the new fork oil I put in the old forks and reuse for the new ones I'm getting? it's been sitting in the old forks with the new nuts that won't fit for about 2 weeks
Did you disassemble and clean out these old forks before you added the oil to them or did you just dump out the old oil and refill them with new oil?

If you added this oil to clean freshened up fork internals, I'd say yes you can reuse the oil. If you left the fork tops open for any length of time you may want to strain the oil first in case any debris got in.

If you drained and refilled your forks with new oil, there's a judgement call to be made. I'd dump the oil into a clear container and take a close look at it's color and cleanliness.

A trick I've used to help the oil flow a little better when the weather is cold is to GENTLY warm the outside of the fork lowers and upper tubes with a small torch, keeping a few inches away from the seals above and below, you really don't want them hotter than you can hold in your hand but nice and warm like they'd get on a sunny summer day will help the oil flow well without scorching it or waiting forever to let it drip out.

Or if you're the patient type you could always bring them inside to overnight in a warm spot, but that can invite an argument or put them at risk of spillage, so consider that carefully first.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lol no I didn't I just drained the old oil out and put the new oil in...then found out I need different forks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I've just bought a pair of 79 forks I'm gonna put new seals in them what's the best thing to clean the forks out with while im in them and also do I need new boots or can I just buy the seals?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I'd strip them down and clean everything, anything that cuts oil will work. Rough cleaning I use carb spray and for real good cleaning I use Dawn dish soap and a scrubber.
You can buy just seals or dust caps or the entire kit from Year Make Model Search Result | All Balls Racing

1 - 18 of 18 Posts