Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any tried and true tricks to installing new o ring style float bowl gaskets on the bowls? Its a pretty difficult maneuver to get new plyable/round o rings to conform to the shape of the bowl, flip upside down and keep inside groove. Has anyone ever used a little dab of glue on corners or any other tricks? Just putting it out there....

·
Registered
608 Posts
yep a little super glue (cyanoacrylate) will work

·
Registered
59 Posts
jayel said:
yep a little super glue (cyanoacrylate) will work
Thank God you said that. Because that's what I did and I didn't think twice about whether that's a good idea or not -- at least not until I did it. Then I thought "Oh, boy, hope I didn't do something stupid."

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
I wondered about that too...how to make a circle hold a 5 sided shape (trapazoid?) long enough to screw it down. I guess that means you only glue it once hey? I dont imagine the o-ring + superglue would sustain a removal too well...what is the general consensus about using silicone gasket to bed the o-ring? Not a lot, just a wee bit...I recon removal would be much more forgiving when one needs to use carb cleaner.

·
Registered
608 Posts
you could use non-drying gasket stuff Hondabond, yamabond4, doesn't setup as fast but not rtv silicon don't want that in your jets lol, actually removal is not hard at all the super glue seems to lose it's grip on the aluminum and will peel off the o-ring

·
Registered
29 Posts
I dab a bit of grease into the corners of the groove of the float bowl to hold the o-rings. The small amount of grease dissolves into the fuel and burns off.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Have long used Vaseline to hold stuff in place during assembly. Doesn't eat up rubber stuff and dissolves cleanly and it's a little cleaner to work with than grease, though the grease probably works just as well.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I use Gaskacinch rubber cement to glue any rubber gaskets or o-rings that need sticking.

·
Registered
83 Posts
solarae said:
Or you could get these:
http://www.siriusconinc.com/carb/parts.asp
Type in the part number SCI2634 to get to the right page.
Talk about good timing. I did the super glue trick this morning and it worked like a charm. Thanks!

Incidentally, the float bowl gaskets I ordered for my CL350 were the wrong size (I know this is often an issue on aftermarket kits, but I ordered the OEM ones, so I guess Honda changed the part and stopped putting in the correct bowl gaskets??) I considered the SCI ones, but didn't want to wait another 1-2 weeks for them (I'll probably order them for next time). In the end, I decided to re-use the old ones since they still looked good. Hopefully they won't leak!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts