Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Some patience (you'll dig up a lot of red herrings with 'coil' as a keyword) searching the archives here will really pay off.

But, quickly, those dual-output coils probably won't work (they might, but I think you'd have to ground one of the leads or something); you'll need single-output, single-fire coils if you don't want to change much in the original setup. I've heard good things about the dynas (DC10, I think) as well as the MikesXS 650 coils. I've also heard positives from the british-style cylinder coils that (again, I think) JCWhitney and Z1enterprises, and maybe oldbikebarn sell. You could probably mount them on the down-tube if they didn't fit under the tank. The choice seems to depend a fair bit on your budget and fabrication skills. Just DON'T buy the 'universal' emgo coils that look like dirt bike coils. They're set up for a single connection to the points and won't (as far as I can tell) work on a battery-fired-coil setup.

Last thing - you probably already did this, but you might thank yourself for switching coils side to side (swap the low and high voltage wires) and see if the dead plug moves with it. If so, you can probably move on to finding new coils. But you might also find out the dead plug stays where it is, and you can decide whether its a bad condenser, set of points or whatever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts