Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new (xs650) coils for my cb350 that I am building. The coils have brown and orange wires. My question is how do I wire it up to the bike. I have them mounted on the original mount that is modified. I was reading other threads on this. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=782&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10 I just did not see the exact wiring configuration. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet! Thanks Jayel! "If anyone needs me I will be in the shop", that's what I just told my wife.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jayel, I see you are from Iowa. I grew up I Cedar Rapids. I now live near the Williamsburg area. Wife is from New London by Mt Pleasant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
Birmingham south of Fairfield
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know right where there that is at. Cool. Thanks for the help. I decided to put the new coils on my 360 cafe instead of my 350 project bike. I just got back from a 90mi ride on the 360. Man it ran smooth with the new coils. Great power too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,612 Posts
Berb said:
I just got back from a 90mi ride on the 360. Man it ran smooth with the new coils. Great power too.
:lol: now theres something we dont hear everyday :lol: Glad to hear it :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really enjoy riding the 360. Besides the vibration I could ride it all day. I have straight pipes for exhaust. I wonder if putting a mufler back on it would help the vibration.

I can't believe how cheap those coils were from Mike's. I plan on getting another set soon for my next 350.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Berb said:
I really enjoy riding the 360. Besides the vibration I could ride it all day. I have straight pipes for exhaust. I wonder if putting a mufler back on it would help the vibration.
Nope. I have a 360 too and the problem is A) Honda bolted the pegs directly to one of the engine mount bolts and B) of the five attachment points on the engine, only one of them has an isolator mount which is totally pointless. I'm looking into an isolation mount solution to put some rubber between me and that engine right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sharkmonkey said:
Berb said:
I really enjoy riding the 360. Besides the vibration I could ride it all day. I have straight pipes for exhaust. I wonder if putting a mufler back on it would help the vibration.
Nope. I have a 360 too and the problem is A) Honda bolted the pegs directly to one of the engine mount bolts and B) of the five attachment points on the engine, only one of them has an isolator mount which is totally pointless. I'm looking into an isolation mount solution to put some rubber between me and that engine right now.

Let me know what you come up with. I thought about trying to make some mounts too. I don't want to take the time right now I would rather ride it. Maybe this winter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
cut some donut washers out of a old tire (heavy duty rubber between washers) mount them under the footpeg mounts, won't help much but better than nothing, (sez the old guy who grew up on iron head Sportsters® and hardtail Hogs®) I ride the hell out of my CL350 and 450 a 100 miler ain't nuthin', it's a small motor turning a lot of rpm's gear it up or get a bigger motor to reduce vibes,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I kind of like the vibration. Most of the issue is self inflicted. My cafe seat as very little in the way of cushion. Saturday I plan on a 200mi round trip with it. It should be fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
anyone have a link to the correct coils and/or "bill's setup"?

these coils:
http://www.mikesxs.net/products-27.html#products
(Part #17-6805)?

i have a new condenser.

they are going on a CL350 that came without any coils, but i do have the mount. is it obvious how to modify?

are the xs650 coils the best way to go for new coils at a decent price that are easy to mount?

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Oo.et.oO said:
anyone have a link to the correct coils and/or "bill's setup"?

these coils:
http://www.mikesxs.net/products-27.html#products
(Part #17-6805)?

i have a new condenser.

they are going on a CL350 that came without any coils, but i do have the mount. is it obvious how to modify?

are the xs650 coils the best way to go for new coils at a decent price that are easy to mount?

thanks
I don't have a link to Bill's setup, but I did purchase the same gear from mikes. I have a '72 CB/CL 350 that I bought it for.
If you have access to a bit of aluminium bar (I used 1/8" x 1/2") - I got mine from Home Depot. Way more than I needed, but...
Measured the coil mounting bolts, drilled holes in the bar, and then mounted the coils with the alum. bar to the bracket.
Aluminium is easy to drill, but be careful the drill bit likes to bite into it. Use a drill press or at least a vise. And if you have a punch, you can can use it to make a divot for easy drill starting.

I moved the condenser down the frame and under the seat, drilled new mount holes and used self tapping screws to mount it.

Oh yeah, the coils worked great. (Until I screwed something else up :shock: )

Cheers,
Red
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Did you guys just reuse the spark plug caps?? I failed to order some when I ordered the coils from Mike's and now I need to find some locally. Just wondering if I can just use any ol plug cap or if it has to be specific.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
SteelB12 said:
Did you guys just reuse the spark plug caps?? I failed to order some when I ordered the coils from Mike's and now I need to find some locally. Just wondering if I can just use any ol plug cap or if it has to be specific.
I ordered a set of caps and wires when I got the coils, but I believe that they have a 5k resistance in the cap.
'tho I read that some people use non-resistor caps - I'm sure somebody will correct me if that's wrong. If that's the case, I tink as long as the caps have the right connector, you can get 'em anywhere.

Just for S & G, I would look at Mike's site for specifics.

Cheers,
Red

BTW - I cooked one of my coils somehow - it has a bulge running around the middle of the coil.
Hmmmm... is that why I'm getting really weak spark on that side?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,612 Posts
You should really be using 0-ohm caps to give your dinosaur points ignition system a fighting chance. You must have left the ignition switch on for quite a while (with engine off) for your coil to toast itself like that. I found that while I was troubleshooting my indicators, I had to let the left coil cool off every now and then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
leethal said:
You should really be using 0-ohm caps to give your dinosaur points ignition system a fighting chance. You must have left the ignition switch on for quite a while (with engine off) for your coil to toast itself like that. I found that while I was troubleshooting my indicators, I had to let the left coil cool off every now and then.
could be either coil just depend on which set of points is open
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Has any one tried Mike's #17-6807 coil? The green one. It puts out 45k volts at 12 volts input, 75k volts at 14.5 volts input. I have used the dual output version on an xs650. Works very well. Instant starts and runs stronger all across the rpms.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top