Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all from Vancouver, WA.

I just picked up this CJ360T last weekend after not having a bike for nearly ten years. It sat for a few years, but after an oil change, carb cleaning, new plugs and battery, started right up. No smoke, no knocks. 21k on the Odometer.

She's not running perfectly yet (though she is rideable). 4500 to 6500 RPMs is a bit sputtery, and it's definitely lacking a bit of power, but I've got a couple carb rebuild kits and a Clymer manual on order, and I'm looking forward to working on it (hopefully with a bit of help from you lot).

I see that a lot of people have been getting incorrectly sized jets in their rebuild kits for these....can't wait to see what they send me.

Aside from that, near future plans include giving the air cleaner a more thorough cleaning, as well as the petcock (if it's still sputtery, points?). In the off-season, I'd like to put on some clubman bars (already purchased), as well as installing a nice cafe seat and painting the tank to match. I'd also like to get my hands on some pod filters, some new exhaust and of course, some new jets once I get those.

Any tips or helpful information regarding this bike would be most appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
IndieSol said:
I've got a couple carb rebuild kits and a Clymer manual on order, and I'm looking forward to working on it (hopefully with a bit of help from you lot).

I see that a lot of people have been getting incorrectly sized jets in their rebuild kits for these....can't wait to see what they send me.
Welcome!
I just ordered carb rebuild kits too. Fun stuff for sure.
This place is a great source for getting help and having questions answered.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Good luck and welcome you two :D I used the SiriusInc carb kits in my CB360 resto, but unfortunately I cannot comment on them until I get mine fired up for the first time/tuned. Shouldn't be long now :p

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My carb kits came in today (a week early, go Honda of St. Johns). While I was picking them up, I noticed that they had the Clymer manual for it, which I had on order somewhere else, so I picked that up as well.

I've got to get my garage cleaned out and get something to clean the parts, then I'm good to get going on the project. I'm going to try the lemon juice solvent thing I saw posted in the technical section.

I've also got to do the 100,000 mile service on my Forester before I drive it out to the middle of nowhere for a backpacking trip in a couple weeks. There are never enough hours in the day, but I'm going to try to finish both in the next two weekends.

Anyone have any tips or tricks for overhauling the carbs on a '77 CJ/CB360?

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Take a few pictures for reference, dont force anything, dont get cab cleaner on rubber parts, dont mix parts between the 2 carbs, a high E-string from an electric guitar and an air compressor are invaluble when cleaning up crusty old carbs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
leethal said:
Take a few pictures for reference, dont force anything, dont get cab cleaner on rubber parts, dont mix parts between the 2 carbs, a high E-string from an electric guitar and an air compressor are invaluble when cleaning up crusty old carbs.
Oh yeah! Nice call on using the E string. Thanks for the tip!
I'll have to look for that lemon solvent thing too. Sounds cool.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Carb overhaul complete. I encountered a couple problems. For some reason, though I'm not sure why at this point, the Clymer manual instrucs you to disconnect the throttle cable at the handlebar controls. I did this, though found it to be unnecessary and a pain to get all back together in the correct position.

Second, the clymer manual instructs you to disconnect the throttle cables at the carbs, but as with the other instruction, doesn't tell you how to do that. Adjust the cables out a bit and that will help you get enough slack to disconnect the top cable. Then twist the throttle back to gain the slack to undo the bottom one. I was able to disconnect and connect these with the throttle cables connected at the hand controls.

My third problem was my own fault. I couldn't find my needlenose pliers to pull the float valves. I tried taping a normal pair of pliers but still scored them up a bit. Luckily, I picked up some new float valves along with the standard kit. I was hoping to keep them as spares, but I didn't want to run to the parts store to pick up some new pliers today. They're readily available at the honda dealer, though, so it's not that big a deal.

My last problem is ongoing....my left side air filter is in somewhat poor shape, and I haven't found a new one. It will work for now, but it's something I'm keeping in the front of my mind. If anyone has one they wouldn't mind parting ways with, I love to hear from them...

So, agree on the taking pictures thing, and I'd suggest the lemon juice thing. It worked quite well.

Anyhow, the bike fired up on the second kick, and stayed running. After letting it warm up, I took it out for about a ten mile ride. It was like a completely different bike.........In a good way. Smooth acceleration through the gears and it had tons more power.

I can't wait to take her out again!

·
Registered
81 Posts
IndieSol said:
Carb overhaul complete. I encountered a couple problems. For some reason, though I'm not sure why at this point, the Clymer manual instrucs you to disconnect the throttle cable at the handlebar controls. I did this, though found it to be unnecessary and a pain to get all back together in the correct position.

Second, the clymer manual instructs you to disconnect the throttle cables at the carbs, but as with the other instruction, doesn't tell you how to do that. Adjust the cables out a bit and that will help you get enough slack to disconnect the top cable. Then twist the throttle back to gain the slack to undo the bottom one. I was able to disconnect and connect these with the throttle cables connected at the hand controls.

My third problem was my own fault. I couldn't find my needlenose pliers to pull the float valves. I tried taping a normal pair of pliers but still scored them up a bit. Luckily, I picked up some new float valves along with the standard kit. I was hoping to keep them as spares, but I didn't want to run to the parts store to pick up some new pliers today. They're readily available at the honda dealer, though, so it's not that big a deal.

My last problem is ongoing....my left side air filter is in somewhat poor shape, and I haven't found a new one. It will work for now, but it's something I'm keeping in the front of my mind. If anyone has one they wouldn't mind parting ways with, I love to hear from them...

So, agree on the taking pictures thing, and I'd suggest the lemon juice thing. It worked quite well.

Anyhow, the bike fired up on the second kick, and stayed running. After letting it warm up, I took it out for about a ten mile ride. It was like a completely different bike.........In a good way. Smooth acceleration through the gears and it had tons more power.

I can't wait to take her out again!
Very cool. Points I'll take into account when doing my carbs....(still waiting for them to arrive)
Congrats on carb rebuild!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I found a set of "ignition wrenches" (very small open end wrench set) from Sears includes the sizes you need for removing the jets, etc. Number 42339, $19.95 on the website, or number 370401567583 on EBay right now for a bit less.

Use the right tool. You will never regret it.

I don't have an air compressor, but I use the canned air that is sold to clean computers, and it works well to blow out carbs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cam chain tensioner question....

So, the engine serial number on my CJ360T engine is missing the two marks indicating the cam tensioner update was done.

I was hoping to ride this thing for at least this summer, and possibly next, so I could get comfortable working on it before I do a full tear down and restoration of the entire bike. Can anyone tell me what will happen if the tensioner goes before then? I know it will hose the engine, but will it make rebuilding it that much more difficult ?

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
The 77's already have the new tensioners.....From the factory..... You should be fine.... :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great, thanks. I was looking for parts on the internet and found some posting elsewhere about a guy with a '76 for sale whose ad said "It's got the two punch marks so it's one of the good ones". Immediately I started to remember all the postings on this forum about the PIA and that havoc it could wreak.

Thanks again for the help. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts