Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I picked up a non-running '76 CB360 a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to get it turned over since. I do have the FSM and I have read the Basic Checklist For that New to You Old Bike and watched as many videos as I could find, but I'm at a standstill I think. Hoping someone here can offer some next step advice. Here's where I stand:

• Changed oil
  • Adjusted cam chain tension
  • Adjusted valve clearances
  • Set ignition break points
  • Confirmed spark in both cylinders
  • One of the carbs was in bad shape, so they are currently off the bike and out of the equation
  • Compression tested this morning. Kicking it got up to 180psi on both cylinders. Testing with starter motor was 170 psi. Both cylinders almost dead even. This was on a cold engine. Should I be concerned about these numbers? From what I've read seems like I could have some carbon buildup in the combustion chamber.

Which leads me to where we are right now. I'm using a jump starter connected to the starter motor to bypass the starter button/solenoid and spraying a little starter fluid in the open intakes. I'm consistently getting a fire on the right side intake (like a literal fire, not the cylinder firing) and nothing but backfire on the left side. Right side is spitting oil and starter fluid out the header (I put a little oil in the spark plug holes when changing oil last week - this wouldn't still be causing the increased compression would it?) I've double checked the ignition timing and points gap with a tester light and with feeler gauges and everything seems correct. Kicking produces the same results as the electric starter.

Any suggestions for next steps?

Thanks!
Jake

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, now I feel like such an idiot! The advance was assembled correctly, but you mentioning it being 180 off triggered me to check the coil wiring. They were flip-flopped. Swapped the two wires and it fired right up.

Thanks!! On to the next issues!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oil in the combustion chamber will raise compression.
Try starting it and running it for a while, and then test compression...
I assumed it would, but I also figured it would've made its way out of the combustion chamber by now. Once the carbs are ready to go, I'll warm it up and retest compression.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts