Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in one of my latest project log videos, I replaced the front brake system on my CB360T (new upper hose, new caliper housing, new piston seal, new pads, new bleed valve). After bleeding the system to build up nice pressure and push out any air, I screwed the bleed valve closed and wiped off any excess fluid. A couple days later, I came back into the garage and saw that I had developed a minuscule brake fluid leak through the threads of the bleed valve. It isn't a huge leak: less than a "drop" that sits at the top of the caliper housing. However, it is annoying since everything is new. (FYI, tightening the bleed valve further did not fix the problem either)

A quick google search indicated that people on car/bike forums recommend wrapping the bleed valve threads with teflon tape to fix this issue. Anyone have experience with this issue and successfully fix it?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Since the bleed port seat does the sealing and not the threads fluid might still seep through.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is correct. Literally a "band aid" solution that doesn't address the source of the issue.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The actual problem is the seat area that the bleeder screw tightens against, probably a small pit of corrosion. A Q tip with valve lapping compound in a drill motor will probably cure it.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The actual problem is the seat area that the bleeder screw tightens against, probably a small pit of corrosion. A Q tip with valve lapping compound in a drill motor will probably cure it.
That sounds about right. I will drain the system sometime and see about performing this task.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I am getting really efficient at draining, filling, and bleeding brakes now!

Last night, I got some valve lapping compound on a q-tip and gave the inside of the port (where the screw bottom mates) a couple twirls and cleaned it up. Filled system and bled the brakes. Checked this morning and saw no leaks!

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts