Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I JUST bought my first motorcycle!! It's a 1985 honda nighthawk 450. It doesnt run and I know nothing about it haven't even picked it up yet or seen it in person still very stoked! I am sure since my knowledge on this topic is nothing I will be here asking plenty of questions!!
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'm happy for you... but..
PLEASE tell me you had someone experienced help you with this purchase...
I would hate to see your excitement end with a bad taste in your mouth if this bike bites you in the keester..

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
^^^Yes, buying a vintage bike sight-unseen could be a major disaster. So many things aren't as simple because of the age - lack of available parts, the potential for lots of downtime during the years of the bike's existence which could lead to much greater time and expense to repair than what it would appear through pictures, even something as simple as accurate and correct title/paperwork for the bike. Given that all works out reasonably well, there are many here who have extensive knowledge of that series and will be happy to help. Post some pictures as soon as you can to help others get started offering suggestions, and good luck.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Reactions: J-T

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Welcome Mark, you've found the right forum here.
Good luck on the journey, don't lose that excitement.
Its all about fun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahaha thanks for the concern but nope I just saw it and bought it! Lol (not the first time I've done this kinda thing) half the journey for me is taking something dead and making it live again whatever the cost or time is always worth it in the end! 20180509_192403_1525914169624.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the encouragement lol I know the risks by I paid 300 bucks for this bike and it needs some work but I'm ok with it

·
Registered
623 Posts
Wow, that is one clean Nighthawk! Even if the engine is hopelessly fragged inside, $300 is a great deal on that. Good luck getting it running; hopefully it's something simple like a dead battery or clogged carburetors. Being in such good shape, I'm betting it'll be pretty straightforward. It doesn't have the look of a bike that's been abused.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Good looking bike,and it looks like the pit crew is giving it the once over.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I think you did great picking up that bike. As above, it looks like it hasn't been abused. Hopefully something simple to get you on the road.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, that is one clean Nighthawk! Even if the engine is hopelessly fragged inside, $300 is a great deal on that. Good luck getting it running; hopefully it's something simple like a dead battery or clogged carburetors. Being in such good shape, I'm betting it'll be pretty straightforward. It doesn't have the look of a bike that's been abused.
Thanks! That's what I was thinking... the previous owner was way in over his head so i think the biggest issues will be fixing his mistakes! It's missing bolts out of the carbs.. the caliper is hanging bu the brake line he put some big horn on it that blows the fuse just goofy stuff like that!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good looking bike,and it looks like the pit crew is giving it the once over.
Funny the pit crew chief went and started getting my tools all lined up so I wouldn't have to look for the right size! Lol he spent an hour find sockets and wrenches and matching them up to the bolts on the bike! This is gonna be a great experience for us all!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
...the previous owner was way in over his head so i think the biggest issues will be fixing his mistakes!
That's often fun. I've been working on motorcycles since 1977, but am continually amazed at some of the bizarre things people do in the name of "fixing" them.
It's missing bolts out of the carbs.
First question- why? Were they giving him problems, or did he decide to go up 6 sizes on the mains, thinking "It'll go REALLY fast now!"?
...the caliper is hanging bu the brake line
Again, why would the previous owner remove this? It isn't unusual for the caliper to need to be rebuilt on a bike that's 30+ years old, but again, sometimes "mechanics" do odd stuff for odder reasons.
he put some big horn on it that blows the fuse
With any luck, he kept the OEM horn, which works just great as long as the leads are clean and it hasn't been farked with (there's an adjustment screw that invites farkage). If it's missing, you can keep Hornzilla if you run a big fat 18AWG wire to a relay and operate the relay using the OEM horn leads. The problem now is that Hornzilla is drawing more power than the wiring harness is designed to carry. It's a simple fix that requires just some basic electrical tools and hardware
just goofy stuff like that!
Nice!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts