Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Read Only
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 1982 Honda CM450, and apparently the battery that is on her now isn't strong enough to power it. I have to charge her flat out!!! Can someone suggest the proper sized battery for me? I'm a complete newbie to the bike world and need some help. Pics are attached of bike and current battery.

I will be purchasing a anti gravity battery at some point, but at this moment I'm looking for one a bit cheaper but still fits proper. Maybe the same brand battery but a stronger one...the right one? Again, I'm a newbie to the bike world lol Please help! Thanks in advance!

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
That battery is only a 4 Ampere/hour rated unit.....IIRC, Your bike specifies and originally came with a 12 Ampere/hour battery .......YB12A-A
There is also an improperly connected green with red stripe wire shown in the pic.......Which is part of the neutral light/neutral and clutch starter safety switching circuit......So, THAT could be dangerous....

·
Read Only
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This bike has been through multiple owners and some wiring has been done recently. Like I said before, I'm a complete newbie, so can you give me a bit more info on the Red/Green wire issue your talking about? Thanks for the response!

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
It's already posted on Hondatwins somewhere, so a phone call might be the way to proceed.....
Call when at the bike, OR at the wiring schematic........

·
Read Only
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like I said I'm a complete newbie. Where on this forum might I find this info?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Two new-to-motorcycle hints; they are NOT Philips screws - they are JIS and Phillips screwdrivers just mangle them. Buy some JIS screwdrivers or go to Amazon and buy Motion Pro 1/4" hex JIS #2 and #3 bits. Electrical connections suffer more on bikes, and need to be clean and tight, particularly those close to and exposed to fumes from the battery.

·
Read Only
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know about the screw situation, but can someone be a little more detailed on this wiring issue I apparently have? Lol...And how to fix it?

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts

·
Read Only
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the one I showed will not work??? I thought it met the specs for my bike/battery

·
Read Only
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the link to work. That is the one I was looking at originally but I thought I needed a 12V 12AH ? The link you provided is 12V 10AH. I'm new to all this so can you confirm the proper battery?

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
We are both awaiting a response from Jim........

The factory shop manual SHOULD specify the battery, but I don't have one for that specific model,
so I used the parts fiche at CMSNL as my verification reference....

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
Probably will fit, BUT is not a factory set-up or correct system...

I'm reasonably sure there will be carb "tuning" or rejetting involved to make it work properly....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Looks like it's missing the power chamber so that's something else you'd need to get it running properly if you're trying to get closer to the stock setup.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Also since you're new I would advise that you try to stick your questions to the same posts.
I am seeing multiple posts asking the same questions again and again. This makes it extremely difficult for us to follow and answer and to help you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts