Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-
New to the forum, but looking for the right laundry list of things I should check-off for my new barn find.

Specs: 1980 CM 400T. 1600 mi on the odometer (legit) from the original owner. Heated storage her whole life. New rubber, custom bars (lower than the originals), but other than that all factory spec.

Starts fine, when warmed-up, idles comfortably at 1200-1500, but bogs waaaay down off the line (needs really high revs to get going). My first thought is new plugs and carb cleaning, but I'm open to hear what this hive mind might have to offer in terms of things I should go over while it's hanging-out in the garage for the winter.

My mental list is: new plugs, clean carbs, clean air filter, replace drivetrain (engine and wheel cogs, and chain), change oil (has new oil filter), run engine through remaining gas (has new gas in the tank), and put a little gas in there with some STA-BIL...anything else I should look at that a regular dude could get after in his own garage?

I do also have a battery tender, but the battery seems pretty good - sat for the last 1.5 yrs and still started-up the bike on a cold start with no additional charge.

Thanks for the input.

Best-

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome aboard! Nice find. Probably from Australia:D You'll need a proper service manual and Jim or Dan should be along with a link to the new to you write up.
PM sent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts