Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'll get to it real quick...

Ive just installed a PAMCO v3 ignition on a 360 and am currently not getting a spark on either plug. When I initially received the unit, I wired it temporarily just to make sure it worked and was able to get the bike running on the left cylinder only. I figured no spark on the right side was because of my quick wiring job so I pulled the unit off and took the time to properly attach connectors and figure out how to mount the advancer under the battery. I also checked for continuity between all my crimped on connections and solder points on the pamco boards. All checked out good. Now after reattaching the unit to the bike and checking and double checking my connections (using the diagram on pamco' website) I cannot for the life of my figure out why I cant get a spark on either side. I've read through so many pamco threads for things I should check and here are my details:

Bike Info:

• Bike was tuned and running very well prior to pamco install. Rode 1k miles over a long weekend about a month ago.
  • AGM battery with a 12.9v across the terminals. Voltage remains in this range after several e-starts so its a healthy battery.
  • New combo reg/rectifier from sparck moto installed a month ago. No more dead battery after riding around town.
  • Coils are less than a year old.

Tests and Readings:

• Voltage at red wire connecting to e-advancer unit with key on: 12.35
  • Voltage at black wire connecting to coils with key on: 12.34
  • Voltage at red wires on sensor plate with key on: 11.62
  • Voltage at both green and white wires from e-advancer to coils with key on: 12.4. Coils were connected to power as well, not sure if this makes a difference. More on this below*
  • Continuity between ground black wire from e-advancer unit and battery negative checks out.
  • Resistance at primary coil winding: 3 ohms
  • Resistance at secondary coil winding: 10.66k ohms
  • Swapped out spark plugs during this process. They smell of gas but are clean.
  • Sensor plate installed exactly as shown on pamco's webstie.
  • I did a "spin test" as described by Pete in another thread where the cam shaft pin is removed and you spin the pamco rotor by hand over the sensors rather than with the starting motor while holding plug to engine. Still no spark.

*One thing I did notice Pete mention in another forum (screenshot) was that the voltage at the green and white wires from the e-advancer to the coils should drop to nearly 0 while the rotor passes over the sensors (albeit on a dual output coil). Does anyone know if this is true for the 360s as well? I tested the voltage while e-starting and the voltage only dropped to ~10.5 and makes me wonder if my pamco unit is defective. But I really have no idea.

Im going to send this info over to Pete too but I know hes busy. Hoping someone here can provide some helpful knowledge because I so badly want to love this unit.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
... are the capacitors removed...?
Do a GOOD visual inspection of the unit... check the wire connections to the board..
.. I know this sounds STUPID... but DOUBLE CHECK the wiring (sensors to box)..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... are the capacitors removed...?
Do a GOOD visual inspection of the unit... check the wire connections to the board..
.. I know this sounds STUPID... but DOUBLE CHECK the wiring (sensors to box)..
Capacitors are indeed removed. And that doesn't sound stupid at all, I was just about to take the back off the thing again and check again.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
There are a lot of "pamco" threads, some good some not so good.... I think I have read them all and don't recall any (newer) units arriving DOA. My wife still has had no issues as of yet (knock on wood). I have noticed the threads that are negative or have failures with the units go silent when questions are asked regarding troubleshooting or just plain giving up when Pete doesn't return a email.
If you have read the threads then you know Pete at one point was having e-mail issues..
Was this purchased from a vender or directly from Pete?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a lot of "pamco" threads, some good some not so good.... I think I have read them all and don't recall any (newer) units arriving DOA. My wife still has had no issues as of yet (knock on wood). I have noticed the threads that are negative or have failures with the units go silent when questions are asked regarding troubleshooting or just plain giving up when Pete doesn't return a email.
If you have read the threads then you know Pete at one point was having e-mail issues..
Was this purchased from a vender or directly from Pete?
Purchased from 4into1. Yeah I've read all the good and the bad but enough good to give it a go. I checked all the connections in the advancer and theres continuity in all the wires to the solder points. Do you know if there should be continuity from the red wire end to end on either side of the advancer unit? I get continuity through black but not red. But I did get voltage at red on the sensor.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I have done some research on "Hall effect" ignitions... however, as for voltage and continuity from point to point is a question for Pete, he designed the system. I would shoot 4into1 an email explaining your situation. Since they are a supplier, you may get an answer faster that way.. plus if it is DOA.. it would still be under warrenty..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have done some research on "Hall effect" ignitions... however, as for voltage and continuity from point to point is a question for Pete, he designed the system. I would shoot 4into1 an email explaining your situation. Since they are a supplier, you may get an answer faster that way.. plus if it is DOA.. it would still be under warrenty..
Thanks Rob. Just an update on where this is at... after more attempts at getting this unit to work and not making any progress, I put the points back on and the bike started up strong on the first try so I contacted 4into1 about a replacement/refund and they referred me to Pete so Im waiting for a reply. I'll be sure to update again once I hear back so this thread gets resolved one way or another.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Sorry to hear any bad news... good part you discovered the problem...
.... I'm sure there are a lot of members curious regarding this....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts