Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Picked up a really nice '81 CM400a. Really excited about the bike, was looking for the automatic version specifically. Always wondered about these and thought it would be neat to have one. I plan to keep it stock. It has 7,500 miles and appears to be well kept. I've never owned a Honda parallel twin before, getting to know the sound... I think i may need to look into adjustment of or at least verify that the cam and balancer chains are in tension. I've read that these automatics have their own unique sound and i'd agree with that!
By the way I have a copy of a manual that i've downloaded and it does contain lots of info with addendums for the auto's but Its missing section 20 which is where it looks like the info is on how to R&R the converter. Does anyone have that info available?
Thanks and Hi to all
Pete
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome, That bike is super nice!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! I decided to "spend a little more" and buy one that doesn't need as much work like most of the other bikes i've picked up in the past. I've got tires on order, but have taken in for a couple short trips around the block and its a hoot. Love it!

·
Registered
475 Posts
In town they rule,love that no clutch thing. You will do lots of oil changes every 1800 miles that's the price you pay for the automatic plus the funny sound effects.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Hello!

Picked up a really nice '81 CM400a. Really excited about the bike, was looking for the automatic version specifically. Always wondered about these and thought it would be neat to have one. I plan to keep it stock. It has 7,500 miles and appears to be well kept. I've never owned a Honda parallel twin before, getting to know the sound... I think i may need to look into adjustment of or at least verify that the cam and balancer chains are in tension. I've read that these automatics have their own unique sound and i'd agree with that!
By the way I have a copy of a manual that i've downloaded and it does contain lots of info with addendums for the auto's but Its missing section 20 which is where it looks like the info is on how to R&R the converter. Does anyone have that info available?
Thanks and Hi to all
Pete
View attachment 229130
Did you also download the 'A' supplement when you d'loaded the manual?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts