Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
This is my first post here.
Thanks to Craigslist, I just picked up a 71 CB450 K4, fresh out of a 30+ year storage!
It's got a bit of surface rust and pitting on most of the chrome, and the tank has a few dents (repairable)
But the paint is sooo excellent. The color is beautiful! Still 3/4 full of 70's gas! (a little rusty)
Does anyone know how rare the Candy Gold color is on the K4? I can't seem to find many pics in candy gold, other than an original Honda ad from 1971.
-Kyle

Here's the day I got it home:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: New 1971 K4, in candy "Gold"

Ooops, yeah that's what I meant, Candy Gold.
I've been doing mad research online, and all the color codes are floating around in my head!
But, I think most people knew what I meant.
-k

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Really nice bike, I have a 72 and it is one of my favorites to ride. My suggestion would be to clean it up, get it running correctly and ride and enjoy it with the patina as it is. You can restore them multiple times, they are original once.
Bring it to Vintage Days this year. We are going to try to have a group of 450's there this year.
Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking of turning it into a Chopper!! haha, just kidding!
But really, I'm definitely keeping it vintage stock, patina and all. Just need to get the fuel system cleaned out and a new battery so it will start. Does this bike have any specific quirks to look out for when resurrecting from a 30 year nap, specific to the 450?

Does anyone know or have any experience with having tanks/sidecovers touched up and re-clearcoated? Is it worth the effort?
I wanted to touch up some small scratches, and there is a big gas stain just to the left of the gascap that took out the clearcoat and a bit of the orange color. Anyone have any links to Honda paint codes?

Also, FYI, this bike did not have a key when I got it, but I was able to find a guy on eBay that has a bunch of NOS Honda keys, and I was able to buy 2 new Honda keys using the number off my lock cylinder, $5 each. Priceless...
-k

·
Registered
148 Posts
WOW! Great find!

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
windowlikker said:
I was thinking of turning it into a Chopper!! haha, just kidding!
But really, I'm definitely keeping it vintage stock, patina and all. Just need to get the fuel system cleaned out and a new battery so it will start. Does this bike have any specific quirks to look out for when resurrecting from a 30 year nap, specific to the 450?

Does anyone know or have any experience with having tanks/sidecovers touched up and re-clearcoated? Is it worth the effort?
I wanted to touch up some small scratches, and there is a big gas stain just to the left of the gascap that took out the clearcoat and a bit of the orange color. Anyone have any links to Honda paint codes?
That's a good looking bike. The fork boots are readily available from the dealer and easy to install.

Check out this link for the NOS paint stuff. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any strips for the 450. I bought some strips for a 750 thinking they might work (they don't, they're to big). Instead, I took the 750 stripes to my local graphics shop and they scanned them and shrunk them down to the size that works on the 450. Doing it this way also allowed me to use the colors I liked.

http://www.vintagehondapaint.com/Site/vintagehondapaint.com.html

I think the time and effort to "touch up" the paint and clear would be more work than it's worth. Since there are a couple of small dents you could just strip it, fix the dings and re-paint and clear coat it yourself. I don't have any experience with this stuff but it worked out pretty well for me.

You can check out my paint job here.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=639&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=110

And all the pictures in one place here. Not shown is the side covers which I painted as well.

http://picasaweb.google.com/6453635/Painting#

Good luck

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I've got a set of NOS fork boots I'll sell, but you might look into local/online prices first. Mine are still new in the bag.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice. Did you find that in Ventura? Or somewhere near L.A.? For $600? I think I saw that bike posted on craigslist and responded to it within ten minutes of it being posted thinking I had it in the bag. Emailed the guy, gave him my phone number, told him I had cash and wanted to pay him that day by any method he'd accept and pick up the bike on Friday, sight unseen. In response to my request for him to call me, he emailed me his phone number and I didn't know it until it was too late. My loss for not living online I guess. Anyway, I already have a cb450 that I've nursed back to health, and I guess I really don't need another one. Sweet score! Hey, if you decide it's not for you, I still want it . . .

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looks nice! Mine is the exact same color, so I'm a bit partial. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts