Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
82 450 nighthawk, not running, been sitting a long time, the neutral switch light stays on when in gear, will replacing it fix it? is it located on the top of the crankcase, right side? my manual does not show it.

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
That or wire to it could just be grounded elsewhere...
Disconnect wire from sending unit and light should go out...
IF not, its found another ground........

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
two wires on the sending unit, one for neutral light and one for over drive light, when its in gear and light is on, disconnected wire for neutral light and it went off, so is the problem in the sending unit?

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
I don't think it moves more than that..... IS there continuity between the neutral wire connection and the base with the plunger out?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no continuity unless I push plunger in, except I had to use a piece of wire to push it since it sticks out of the base only about 1/32 inch and pictures I have seen shows it sticking out about 1/4 inch

·
Registered
12 Posts
New member to Hondatwins & just seeing this thread now. Have 86 450 nighthawk & my neutral light will not go out as well. When you guys say "sending unit", I assume that's the console which has 4 lights (neutral, overdrive, high beams, other)? Also, it looks like Kennedy759 disregarded the "sending unit" test & replaced the "neutral light switch" on the top of the crankcase, right side? Kennedy759 - can you confirm what you did?

Yes....I see the neutral light switch sticking out (which the manual does NOT list/show) & I assume that's something to do with the neutral light. Problem: I'd replace it & be done with it but I don't see that part anywhere listed on a OEM site that I go to all the time to find part diagrahms / part #'s https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/l/hon/5053f724f870021c54be82b2/1986-cb450sc-a-parts

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New member to Hondatwins & just seeing this thread now. Have 86 450 nighthawk & my neutral light will not go out as well. When you guys say "sending unit", I assume that's the console which has 4 lights (neutral, overdrive, high beams, other)? Also, it looks like Kennedy759 disregarded the "sending unit" test & replaced the "neutral light switch" on the top of the crankcase, right side? Kennedy759 - can you confirm what you did?

Yes....I see the neutral light switch sticking out (which the manual does NOT list/show) & I assume that's something to do with the neutral light. Problem: I'd replace it & be done with it but I don't see that part anywhere listed on a OEM site that I go to all the time to find part diagrahms / part #'s https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/l/hon/5053f724f870021c54be82b2/1986-cb450sc-a-parts
I found a used neutral switch on ebay and fixed the problem, the old one stayed on because the plunger was stuck(rusted maybe) in the on position, once loose it did not work at all because the plunger stem was broke off at the housing

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Yes, I forgot to mention that Honda is not longer supplying the part. Maybe CMSNL has one? The problem with them seems to be that the plunger sticks, I suspect old gummy oil, and sometimes they can be freed up by soaking in carb cleaner for a day or two.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts