Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I didn't know exactly which section to post this in so I put it here. The neutral switch on my 1980 CM400T works until the bike is good and warmed up. Then
the only way I can get it to work is by pressing down on the shifter a little. Is there any kind of adjustment for it? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks Scott.

·
Registered
582 Posts
If it works like the earlier twins then there is a delicate metal tab which hang out under the sprocket cover. When you shift there is a rod that rotates. When you're in neutral the rod spins to the right spot to make a small spot of copper on the rod contact the delicate metal hanger that makes the neutral light come on.

If you can make the light come on by pressing down lightly, then the delicate metal tab probably got a little bent out of shape. Just take the sprocket cover off and take a look.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Moved to SOHC electrical section.

It's not like earlier twins.
w
The switch is located on the right side behind the cylinders on top of the upper crankcase. It is actuated by a detent in the shift drum. Don't know why being warmed up would matter but I have heard of adding a very thin washer under the switch.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
switch could be cracked, heat makes it expand loosing contact.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I will take the switch out tomorrow and take a look at it. I just wanted to see if anyone else ever had this problem
and had a fix before I tore into. I will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the switch out today, seems like it is wore down a little bit, I am going to order a new one and see if that does the trick.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The part is # 35600-413-003, it is around $12 online. It is right under the right carburetor on top of the crank case. If you look at the new ones the end is rounded, mine is flat and you can feel a little edge on it so I can tell it's worn down. So I am hoping the new one does the trick. Scott.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts