Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but couldn't find anything directly related to this. As the title states, my CL450's neutral light stays on all the time, regardless of what gear I'm in. Just as bad as not having one at all! It seems to ground against the tach housing (which lights the bulb) but I'm not sure if that's where the problem is. Electrical gremlins are especially not my thing. Any tips or ideas?

Thanks.

Derek

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
The neutral switch is behind the countershaft sprocket, you'll see it.
Held in by a couple of screws or bolts.
It's wire runs along with the ones from the stator.
If you unplug it the light should go out, if the switch is bad.
If not, it's in the wiring somewhere down the line....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it need to be in the tach housing (and grounded against it) for the light to come on? Because if I pull it out of the housing the light doesn't work at all.

Derek

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
the neutral switch on the engine provides the ground......it shouldn't be otherwise grounded.......

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
66Sprint said:
the neutral switch on the engine provides the ground......it shouldn't be otherwise grounded.......
Thanks. That's what I was thinking. If I pull the neutral light out of the tach housing it goes out. If I hold the base (below the bulb) against the metal rim of the tach housing the light comes on, and if I push the light back up in the tach it comes on... and stays on. When the base of the light touches the tach housing it's completing a circuit and powering the light? And this isn't normal?

Sorry if I'm being extra dumb on this one, but like I said electrical stuff is far from my strong point. :)

Derek

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Yeah, sounds like its grounding out somewhere in the tach housing. Does the bulb assembly have a rubber covering on the bottom. I don't know much about the 450, but other bikes I've worked on had a rubber 'boot' over the bulb holder.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HerrDeacon said:
Does the bulb assembly have a rubber covering on the bottom.
Only at the very bottom where the wires go in. There's about an inch of exposed metal and then the bulb on top.

Derek

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Usually neutral switch stuck in earting position above & behind drive sprocket as Bill says.Sometimes faulty switch but possibility of loose screws holding switch to engine and dirt ingress from chain area.Otherwise as Bill says earthing downline somewhere.If it worked OK before then just disconnect or cut the earthing wire on the bulb holder that goes down to this switch.If the light goes off then the bulb holder is OK and you need to look downline switch first if you get my drift.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Pull light and housing out of the tach...it should go out.....Then with key still on put bike in neutral.....The light should come back on...If it does this, you need a rubber sleeve to hold it in the tach so it is insulated there.....If it doesn't light in neutral try bouncing the shifter pedal, they sometimes have to be in a certain spot...If that doesn't work, your wire is broken or disconnected between the bulb and the actual switch on the engine...(green/red stripe wire)....I can probably find you the correct boot and socket if you need one.....

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Yes thats an even better way without cutting the wire but make sure when you disconnect bulb and holder from housing that it is not allowed to touch an earth anywhere eles whilst testing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great info! I'll check on it tonight or tomorrow and see what I can find.

Thanks.

Derek

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
66Sprint said:
Pull light and housing out of the tach...it should go out.....Then with key still on put bike in neutral.....The light should come back on...If it does this, you need a rubber sleeve to hold it in the tach so it is insulated there.....If it doesn't light in neutral try bouncing the shifter pedal, they sometimes have to be in a certain spot...If that doesn't work, your wire is broken or disconnected between the bulb and the actual switch on the engine...(green/red stripe wire)....I can probably find you the correct boot and socket if you need one.....
Tried this last night. It worked just as you said. Outside of the housing the light is working properly. Had to find that "sweet spot" with the shifter to get it to come on but then it worked fine. Without the rubber boot it's grounding out once I put it back in the tach.

Do you know where I can get the correct rubber boot?

Thanks!

Derek

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I'll look on some old meters...should have several possibilities....

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Could, but want a shape that will retain the lamp in the meter ......

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
66Sprint said:
I'll look on some old meters...should have several possibilities....
Thanks! :D

Bird76Mojo said:
You can't use a piece of heat shrink tubing or electrical tape??

GB :)
I used a bit of gaffer tape for now, just to confirm that insulating the housing would make it work properly. Not sure how long it will hold up though.

Derek

1 - 16 of 16 Posts