Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

Brand new member here, but I've been perusing the forums of this site for about a month now. I just purchased a '72 CB450 and have been having a blast with it, what an awesome bike.

Anyways, I went on an 80~ mile ride today, and everything was running wonderfully until I got back into town. Upon reaching one of the stop lights I noticed that I could not get neutral to engage/click in and consequently the engagement light on my gauge wouldn't turn on either. Thankfully, I just dealt with holding the clutch the whole time and was able to make it home easily, but nonetheless this is something I'd like to figure out. Prior to the ride, all electronics were working and I could easily engage neutral, and nothing out of the ordinary happened while riding.

(Not sure if this is worth noting, but my turn signal indicator still engages, but instead of a blinking yellow light like it was at the beginning of my ride, the light stays solid now.)

Am I looking at transmission or electrical here? I am relatively new to this particular engine and am no mechanic but I can feel my way around motors. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Ask me any relevant question and I will do my best to answer as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Howdy folks,

Brand new member here, but I've been perusing the forums of this site for about a month now. I just purchased a '72 CB450 and have been having a blast with it, what an awesome bike.

Anyways, I went on an 80~ mile ride today, and everything was running wonderfully until I got back into town. Upon reaching one of the stop lights I noticed that I could not get neutral to engage/click in and consequently the engagement light on my gauge wouldn't turn on either. Thankfully, I just dealt with holding the clutch the whole time and was able to make it home easily, but nonetheless this is something I'd like to figure out. Prior to the ride, all electronics were working and I could easily engage neutral, and nothing out of the ordinary happened while riding.

(Not sure if this is worth noting, but my turn signal indicator still engages, but instead of a blinking yellow light like it was at the beginning of my ride, the light stays solid now.)

Am I looking at transmission or electrical here? I am relatively new to this particular engine and am no mechanic but I can feel my way around motors. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Ask me any relevant question and I will do my best to answer as well.

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum. I think you have 2 separate problems. First, if the turn signal indicator comes on but isn't blinking, it's likely the turn signals themselves aren't blinking as well. Lower battery voltage (for instance, long idling at a stop light with headlight on) can cause turn signals to blink more slowly, but a bad or deteriorating flasher unit can cause a similar situation. As for finding neutral.. when a cable-operated clutch bike warms up, the free play in the lever often increases, and when the free play is too great, it allows the clutch to drag slightly when held in - in other words, the clutch is still not fully disengaged - and that slight drag will make it difficult to find neutral. First rule of a manual transmission on a bike is don't force the shift lever. You can bend shift forks over time by being too rough with a shift lever, so no matter what the situation, simply click it in and out of gear, don't use the force of your entire leg to do it. If you try clicking it into neutral while still rolling slowly and it goes into neutral easily, then the clutch adjustment is the first place to start. there's a sticky somewhere here about clutch cable adjustments and the order to do it in for best results.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Make sure you have enough oil in your bike. If your level gets too low, and you're dragging your clutch, the increase in heat may lead to the plates not disengaging enough and you'll have a hard time shifting and finding neutral.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts