Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the posts about swing arm bushings and how important it is to have no play in them. Makes sense to me, so I decided that this would be a good opportunity to check mine. Much to my horror there was about 3/4" to 1" side to side movement at the top of the wheel (that explains the tendency to wallow through corners). I immediately ordered a set of bronze bushings from CBX performance, but much to my surprise when I disassembled the swing arm I found (you guessed it) needle bearings! The bike is a K6 and as far as I can tell, they should have been plastic bushings. I have no history on the bike from the previous owner.
Most of the play seems to be coming from between the swing arm axle and the internal collar (or tube): The OD of the axle is from 13.85 mm to 13.91 mm, the ID of the collar is from 14.39 mm to 14.35 mm. There's obvious wear on the axle, more near the head end.

The collar does not seem to look like anything in any of the parts fiches or in the pictures in the swing arm post. There's no grease grooves and each end has been turned down to 19.75 mm for about 5.50 mm. I measured the OD at 20.45 mm and the length at 204.78 mm.
The ID of the bronze bushings measured at 21.50 mm so obviously I can't just punch out the needle bearings and replace them with the bronze bushings. It looks to me like someone changed the original bushings to needle bearings, came up with their won collar, but for whatever reason, the collar rotated on the axle and that's where all the wear occured.
Does any one have a stock collar and axle that that they can measure the OD and ID for me? Or better yet sell to me? I'm hoping that the PO didn't open out the tubes in the swing arm itself in order to fit the needle bearings.

Tom G

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Wow.......you're lucky it didn't kill you, man.

I think your best bet would be to get another swingarm and put your bronze bushings in that.
The collars haven't been available for decades, and they're never seen on EBay. A lot of us would love to find a new one.
However, axles do show up......

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
I have a usable swingarm and pivot bolt.... $20 plus shipping....E-mail if interested Steve

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
Two of the collars just sold on Ebay in the last month or so...

I wanna say that I even posted them here...? In the Craigslist thread..

Here's two more:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-Hond ... ccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-Hond ... ccessories

GB :mrgreen:
I completely missed those - both from the same Seller - he must have come across a stash somewhere.
Haven't been perusing EBay lately, too much work and snow-blowing.......

$50 though, ouch. Of course if you need one, that's cheap. I've heard of guys who actually had them machined from stainless, they were so desperate to get one........

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, handling had definitely been deteriorating over time, but I didn't really notice it until I changed the rear tire. Up until then, I was blaming the tire. Fortunately, I'm not an aggressive rider but it was kind of like having a roller skate under your rear.

I saw those tubes on eBay, but was concerned that the po had machined the swing arm itself to fit the bearings. If I pressed the roller bearings out, damaged them when doing so, and the brass bushings didn't fit, I'd be in the market for another swing anyway.

I'll take you up on your offer, Steve, you should have an email from me.

Thanx Again,

Tom G

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I've been figuring Rod would be wanting some specifics on that swingarm you got.. Or at least some measurements.. I know at one time he was attempting the same needle bearing swap. I did see a NIB kit on Ebay once to convert your swingarm to needle bearings.. It fetched a pretty penny..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once I've got a replacement swing arm and everything back together, I'll be glad to donate the old swing arm and all related parts to a worthy cause as long as you'll agree to post the results for all to benefit from.

Tom G

1 - 8 of 8 Posts