Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a blast on my new CM200, but I've noticed a serious deficiency in headlight brightness/spread. I plan on using the bike to go camping soon and Im trying to figure out the best way to brighten things up. I cant find any "off road" lights that run off a 6v battery and I think I figured out that the headlight is a sealed beam so I cant replace the bulb, i have to replace the whole thing, but I cant find the info/size! Please help me figure this out. Thanks!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Re: stator output
To convert to a 12V bike system, simply replace your 6V units with 12V units from the later CM 200....
Alternator, ignition coil, flasher module, horn, rect/reg, lamps, battery, etc........Switches and wiring are fine and re-used....

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Unless you are planning on setting up camp in the dark after the sun is set there's really no need for extra lights. Looking for a campsite in the dark is the pits. The only other realistic option was suggested since 6V auxillary light are rare if they exist.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its really a safety concern. Some of these roads are so dark its hard to see especially when I have my goggles on. I need to light up the road better. I now see there are 6v to 12v converters...will this work for some small LED lights?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I tried that step up converter thing, it worked for a very short while :(
I also ran a 6+v LED headlight bulb in a replacement headlight getting away from the sealed unit.
It was way better, and the current draw was less. However it did flicker at idle.

My final solution was to convert from 6v to 12v, not the cheapest option but much better since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
632 Posts
How many Watts output does your Alternator produce; and how many Watts does your bike use? Add up all the bulbs:, brake, tail, headlamp hi-beam, indicators and the idiot lights plus gauge illumination. Subtract this amount from your alternator output; not forgetting that your ignition; unless it's self generating will also use some Watts. What's left will be available for your extra riding lights; but don't be surprised if you are in a negative situation in low revs I.E. town riding. The battery won't last for long if it's not being topped up by the alternator, which doesn't start to really produce power below about 5000 rpm. LED lamps may be the way forward for what you want; but bear in mind; there still won't be many Watts available.
The 12V upgrade might be your best option.
Nigel.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
This model has an 80W alternator. You can only use @80% of that to run electrical and have enough left over for keeping the battery charged.
For the part time lights, brake, turn, etc add @25% of the total wattage to your load number. They are only on part time.
Your ignition will draw 8-10W normally.
The 1981 version uses a 175W alternator, 12 volt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts