Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ages ago I removed my centerstand because, like many CB360'ers here, I replaced my mufflers with an aftermarket set, and there was no longer a centerstand stop to keep it from hitting the mufflers. Now I want it back, partially because I am going to do a fork rebuild soon. I now am back at the same problem, how do I keep the centerstand from smacking into my pipes and marring/denting them?

With the pipes that I have now, I moved the centerstand through its range of motion, and it looks like the little "appendage" that sticks out will bang into my mufflers. One idea I had was to slip some sort of heat-resistant spacer/wrap onto the appendage that would cushion the blows as the centerstand swings up and down. Anyone have ideas as to what I can use? I am looking for something that won't melt on the mufflers, but would be "squishy" enough to cushion the force of impact.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Radiator hose would be high temp enough to last I figure. Maybe some small diameter motorcycle radiator hose?? You could slice it lengthwise and use permatex gasket maker to glue it on maybe??

Just an idea...

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Cut a little square of rubber mat (from Home Depot or Ace Hardware or the like) and super-glue it right onto the bottom of the muffler exactly where the centerstand would hit. Done.

I've done this trick on several bikes over the years. Works like a champ. And not visible at all, just like the OEM stop.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Do you have a picture of the center stand?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
That's ok, never mind the picture.

If it was me, I'd buy myself a CL360 center stand and use it. I'm sure it would mount in the same location. The CL 360 stands (like the CL350's and CL450's) use a little rubber stopper to stop the stand from coming up. The rubber parts are still available for less than $1 (I just bought one recently).

If you don't want to buy a new stand you could weld a piece of metal to the stand you have now and still use the stopper.

Stands are pretty cheap on ebay but the shipping is a few $$. Heck, I'd check with Steve and maybe he has one to sell.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CL ... _924wt_939

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All great ideas guys, thanks a lot! I do see the little tab on the CL360 stand that you linked Mike and that looks really ideal. I want to know if Steve has any he would like to part with before I place a bid/buy it now.

Steve? :D

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another thing, does the CB360 frame have something to stop the stopper on the CL360 centerstand? It would be a waste if it didn't...

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow I feel like an idiot/jerk for not checking, it was so simple :oops:
Yes there is a tab EXACTLY where the CL Stand will hit the frame. Thus you guys are correct, it is on the CB model frames too. If Steve is not able to find one, I will check out eBay.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
krukster86 said:
Wow I feel like an idiot/jerk for not checking, it was so simple :oops:
Yes there is a tab EXACTLY where the CL Stand will hit the frame. Thus you guys are correct, it is on the CB model frames too. If Steve is not able to find one, I will check out eBay.
Excellent, I'm glad to see that might work out for you. I think it will look a lot better than some heater hose wrapped around the center stand arm.

One potential problem to keep in mind though. The stop on the CL with the stock rubber stopper, MAY allow the center stand to retract further than the CB stand would have. In that case, you might still have a problem with the stand hitting the pipe. If that happens, then there is a fix we can perform that will take care of that problem.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah that will not be a hard problem to fix. I imagine you would need to either bend the frame stopper bracket or just create an extra bit of thickness on the "cushion".

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
krukster86 said:
yeah that will not be a hard problem to fix. I imagine you would need to either bend the frame stopper bracket or just create an extra bit of thickness on the "cushion".
Or us a carriage bolt, 2 washers and 2 nuts to make an adjustable stop then glue a small piece of rubber on the head of the bolt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts