Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Rider and Owner. I decided to jump in head first and picked up a Barn find CB200 to restore. Sitting for 30+ years. Rusted pretty bad but I was told the engine moved and had good compression. But after getting it home the kick start won't engage and the transmission seems to only go as far as second. I read you can turn the bolt on stator to move the engine. But turning it only loosened the bolt. I tried tightening it back and it seemed to move but was afraid of over tightening. I haven't tried the starter because it needs a battery. I would love to know if the engine has hope but seeing it likely needs lower end work might be a lost cause anyway. Any other way to see if it's locked up?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Possibly more than one thing going on with your motor, but doubt it's a lost cause. Most likely the engine won't turn due to the rings sticking to the cylinder wall, rather than a bottom end problem. Remove the spark plugs and fill combustion chamber with something like PB blaster for about week, or some other concoction you can find on the internet. Everybody seems to have their favorite mix to loosen rings. Also your clutch could be either adjusted wrong or is simply slipping so that the kick start is rendered ineffective. Without turning the motor it is nearly impossible to get the transmission to move more than one gear in either direction. You might try putting it in 2nd and rocking the bike back and forth while trying to get into even higher gears. If you can push it with it in gear and the engine doesn't turn you'll know for sure the clutch is slipping. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Put it in 2nd gear and see if you can rock it back and fourth. If you want to try and rebuild it you will find a lot of support on this site.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
Or it might look like this inside ....

DSCF2565.JPG

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. Sprayed a bunch more PB blaster and rocked it also. Rocking seemed to get the transmission up to fourth. But engine still seems to be stuck. Weird though I was able the rear wheel to move backwards. Makes a clicking sound though like the gears are just rubbing past each other.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When you picked it up were the carb boots and exhaust on? It was stored inside this barn, right? "Barn find" can also mean "leaning against barn" haha.

PB Blaster is good, but I hear Kroil is much better. Or a mix of ATF and acetone, 50/50. Fill the cylinders up from the spark plug holes and let it sit. Rock back and forth a few times every day.

Regarding the clicking noise, how loose is the drive chain? Can you confirm that the front sprocket is moving?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Carb boots and exhausts were on but from the amount of surface rust on it, looks like it was exposed to water. But there is no fading so I think it was protected from the sun. Not sure if that is good or bad. The drive chain has about 2 inches of play. Sprocket moves in neutral, but as soon as I put it in gear it locks up. If I tighten the bolt on the stator it seems to move. Will I strip something if I try and tighten up more on the bolt?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was just trying to see if that clicking noise you heard was the drive chain slipping on the front sprocket.

Trying to crank on the stator bolt means you'd be spinning the motor in reverse, I'd confirm with others here that that's ok to do. I've always been taught not to. I think best bet is to keep soaking the cylinders and rocking the bike while in gear. I wouldn't expect it to free up in an hour. If it's bad it could take a week like Rizonson said. Don't just spray PB Blaster in there, seriously fill them. ATF and acetone is cheap.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
You might consider pulling the engine and tearing it down. A few hours of work will get you a clear picture of what you are dealing with.

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
fill both cylinders with your penetrant of choice (I use seafoam deep creep personally) also liberally applying to all the intake and exhaust ports, then let it sit and forget you own it for 2 weeks

put it in top gear (spark plugs out) chain properly adjusted and rock it back and forth to see if you can free it.

if you need something to do while it sits, remove the chain so you can clean and lube it before reinstalling so it doesn't add any unneeded friction to the equation

Reactions: Shawn fetter

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I've read not to in a few places so I'll avoid it. I'll give the ATF and acetone a try.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I'm working on the tank in the mean time. Resealing it and priming. I figure I'll continue to tear down the bike in parts till I get to the engine. If it's no good, part out what I pulled and look for a new one in better shape. The point was to learn anyway, so nothing lost.

·
Registered
635 Posts
If you decide to part out the engine; I need a CB200 kickstart shaft... :)) PM me. Thanks.
Nigel.

·
Registered
816 Posts
if it where mine I would be doing everything to lube a stuck engine, down the plug holes, lube valve guides top and bottom as best as possible, drain oil and see how much "water and metallics" come out.

Gain access to cam/rockers, and watch that the rockers move/valves close way before whizzing over on starter motor.

Starter motor whizzing would be after rotating engine by hand many many many times, keeping eye on oil circulation, has happened, when sure sure engine is free, by k/stater, and finally by electric.

Then move on to making the engine run via test tank and some 2t oil in the gas, no revs just idle, making sure the charge system works.

Else rush and turn it into junk.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No luck, still spraying and rockin back and forth. I tried pushing it in nuetral and then shifting up. It rolls a little and makes a clicking sound then eventually the back wheel locks up. So I'm assuming its the clutch just slipping. I've decided to take it apart and pull out the engine. I'll try spraying all the holes and let it sit more. In the mean time looking for a new engine in better shape. I'd rather not take the engine apart. Thanks for checking in.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Good move, you should be able to pull the engine and at least get the head off in an afternoon. Take lots of pictures and bag and tag all of the parts. A box of 1 gallon and 1/4 gallon food storage bags are easily marked with a Sharpie. Do a rebore and have the valves ground and it will run like new.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is an engine rebuild to much for a newbe? I've worked on cars a little bit but I don't have all the tools that it looks like I would need to properly pull and replace the parts. I guess pulling the head off will at least let me see what's going on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes, you can definitely do a complete teardown and rebuild. I have a SOHC4 550 and I had never rebuilt an engine before but the guys over at the SOHC4 forums guided me through it, and that's a 4 cyl. I guarantee these guys and gals are as capable and ready to drop some knowledge.

These bikes are not super complicated. But you must take lots of pictures and bag and label parts. When I say take lots of pictures, I mean take too many pictures. Even then you probably won't have the right angle to help you assemble a certain part. A nice little trick is to get pieces of cardboard and draw your part on it, poke holes for the bolts you remove and insert them so you have a little live template showing precisely which bolts go where.

Clean your work area, go slow and be methodical. Get the specialty tools (not many, actually I can't think of any right now other than a torque wrench) as you need them.

You'll be able to strip it down to the bare cases, jugs and head and get them soda blasted and paint them if you want. Or you can go vapor blasting which puts on a beautiful finish that doesn't need paint.

Hope you dive in, it's a lot of fun and once you're done you'll be surprised how easy it was.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts