Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How the heck do you get to the carburetor on this CA77?? It's tucked up in the frame and I need to replace the throttle cable. Does anyone have a steb by step guide on how to replace this cable?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
This is not the way to do it but the only way I could do it was to take the cable loose from the twist grip, take the carb off and remove the cable with the carb. replace the cable then put it all back and adjust the cable play. There has to be a way to do it but I couldnt so removed everything. There are covers or should be around the carb and getting the air filter off is a chore all its own.. I did get it back together and it runs great but it was a chore. I hope someone can tell us a better way and will follow this thread to see if someone can help.

Bill H

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn that seems like a hassle. I wonder if I took the battery out if I'd be able to reach the carb - but probably not comfortably enough to do the cable replacement or have enough clearance. I bought a cable from Thailand and I'm wondering if it's going to be the right size. I'd love a step by step for this process, hopefully someone who knows how to do it will chime in.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You cant get to it from the battery side. Remove the trim panels from around the carb. Remove the left side cover and air filter holder. Take the clamp from the air intake tube to the carb and remove the air filter. Remove the nuts holding the carb on and slide the carb back off the studs. Unscrew the top of the carb and remove the carb throttle. Remove the cable from the carb throttle. Remove the cable from the twist grip and feed the cable thru the frame and out from the carb side. Mark the path of the cable so you can put it in the same way it came out. On some models you will have to take the screws out of the right switch and remove the rubber grip. You will have to remove the seat and tank. There should be an adjuster on the cable take it loose take allow some slack in the cable.

I removed the cable from the twist grip and took it out with the carb. It was better to take the carb throttle out of the carb on the bench than in the bike.

Good luck.

Bill H

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You cant get to it from the battery side. Remove the trim panels from around the carb. Remove the left side cover and air filter holder. Take the clamp from the air intake tube to the carb and remove the air filter. Remove the nuts holding the carb on and slide the carb back off the studs. Unscrew the top of the carb and remove the carb throttle. Remove the cable from the carb throttle. Remove the cable from the twist grip and feed the cable thru the frame and out from the carb side. Mark the path of the cable so you can put it in the same way it came out. On some models you will have to take the screws out of the right switch and remove the rubber grip. You will have to remove the seat and tank. There should be an adjuster on the cable take it loose take allow some slack in the cable.

I removed the cable from the twist grip and took it out with the carb. It was better to take the carb throttle out of the carb on the bench than in the bike.

Good luck.

Bill H
Got the old one out and now it looks like the cable I got from ebay (Thailand) is too short and I also cant get it to go in the old curved L shape piece that goes into the handle bar without cutting the cable which I obviously don't want to do. Have any suggestions where to get the right cable?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
SCI, scramblercycles. com, clasic honda restoration. . All out of stock till mid June.

Bill H

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SCI, scramblercycles. com, clasic honda restoration. . All out of stock till mid June.

Bill H
Thanks Bill, my cable looks more like a CB77 cable but for a CA77 since mine only has a single carb. It has a silver guide arm (not sure what its called) it screws onto the throttle assembly on the handlebars. The one for the CA77 doesn't seem to have that L shaped guide arm.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
There are two different cables for the CA 77 depending on your year. Can you send me a photo of the cable showing both ends ?

Bill H

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
All 4 CAs I have worked on had the other cable. Let me look around and I will try to have an answer tomorrow .

Bill H

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Go to your search engine. Type in Honda CA 77 throttle cable part number 17910-262-000 several to choose from.

Bill H

1 - 13 of 13 Posts