Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So like I said, my cb400t isn't starting. Last year, I replaced the dead battery and the bike ran. I drove it and everything was working fine. Then one day, I started it, got gas, and it wouldn't start after. I had to get pushed and pop the clutch to get it running again. I got home and turned it off, then tried turning it on again and it started. Then after that, I tried again the same week and it just wouldn't start.
I have no idea what I'm doing, I replaced the solenoid thinking that was the problem, but nothing.

The starter motor wouldn't make any noise but does (spin) if I jump the solenoid. The ignition coils also made no noise, until I smacked them with a wrench. Any ideas?

Bike: 1980 Honda cb400t Hawk I with no kick start.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don’t ya hate that...no kick start.
But to your trouble...sounds as if your charging system or battery might be the issue, but it’s s place to start checking. When you ride, are you keeping the rpm’s up into the 3K and into the upper rpm ranges?
The battery should have near 12.5 volts present to start that motor, anything less might be click click. Oh- don’t hit anything with a wrench...does no good and you might break something else.
Check your batteries charge state after letting it sit overnight.
Again it should be around 12.5 volts. While you’ve got the seat off, and when you do get it started, clip your digital meter on the + & - of the battery (red to +) while its running at idle you might see 12 volts or something close. But as you rev it up, the voltage on the meter should increase up to maybe 14 at about 3K rpm depending on the state of the batteries charge.
If the voltage increases, that’s a good sign. If it doesn’t, there’s your trouble, now it becomes “why”.
Bad ground, bad connections in the RR circuit, pinched power wire...these are some possibilities.
Are you using a gel battery or the open cell water type? Water (distilled) level in lead acid batteries need replenished periodically, so check that too if that’s your battery type.
Go at it slow and easy, checking one thing at a time and make notes as you test so you can post findings here.

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
The starter motor wouldn't make any noise but does (spin) if I jump the solenoid. The ignition coils also made no noise, until I smacked them with a wrench. Any ideas?

Bike: 1980 Honda cb400t Hawk I with no kick start.
You only have ONE ignition coil, and it should NEVER make noise.....
What exactly did you smack with a wrench? (A pic might be helpful here)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts