Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a 72 CL350 to buy but it has been painted a non Honda color with no graphics and it needs a front fender. How can I get the original color/stripes or Honda graphics painted back on the tank so it will look original? Where can I get a really nice front fender. I don't want to buy it if I can't get it back to original. The bike is a very low mileage bike and chrome is really nice. Can anyone give me any help. I have got to let the guy know something fairly quickly.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
You can probably find a nice front fender and a tank with the OEM paint on eBay if you're patient. Buying a nice used tank with the original paint is just about always cheaper than trying to paint and decal one, unless you're a good painter and can do it yourself.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where can I find pictures of what the tank stripe looked like in 72 and the colors they came in. Bike's build date was 4/72. I am getting colors from some people. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any ideas on how to reproduce the tank striping? I see that some of the late 72's and 73's were a color called Hawaiian Blue Metallic. Would it hurt the value of the bike to paint it in the Hawaiian Blue Metallic with the correct white stripe since probably it was originally painted the red or gold?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
.............. I don't want to buy it if I can't get it back to original.....................

Thanks

You're the one who wants to stay original.........

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Check the serial number - according to that link, if it begins with a 4, you're stuck with the red or gold scheme if you want to be 100% correct.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have no way of knowing what the original color was. It has been repainted. I don't know when in 72 the colors changed. There is a hint of blue left on the inside of one side cover.

·
Registered
23 Posts
my 72 cl is "candy panther gold" I believe some paint shops can look this up and get you the correct paint. Don't know what the red was called but my guess it has "candy" in the name also. Candy fire red seems to jog this old memory, whats left of it anyway!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The red was called Magna Red with black and red stripes. Were the side cover emblems different colors on the 72 vs 73?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am going to look at the 72 or 73 not sure which it is yet. I am going to do a compression and voltage test. Is there anything else special I should look for? It has been a while since I fooled with these bikes. The bike appears to be in very good condition from the pics I have seen. It is an older gentleman selling the bike and he had a dealer go through the bike to make sure it is running properly and everything works. It is a very low mileage bike. Any suggestions? Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts