Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just bought a cb160, the bike was not running when I bought it but was
complete. I changed all the fluids checked the compression and it checked out
good 150psi at each cylinder. Than I tore apart the carbs to every nut and bolt,
and cleaned them. Put new spark plugs on and tryed to fire the sucker up. But it
did not want to fire; finaly after pulling out the spark plugs 3 times and
cheking for fuel and spark, the bike finaly fired up but it only ran on one
cylinder, the other cylinder did not fire. Now my question is, do I have a week
spark or is there something wrong with the carb, I can't figure out what my
problem could be, how can I test for a week spark? I do have a spark but it is
not so bright but the other side looks to be similar and fires up fine. Can
anyone point me in the right direction to figure out my problem. Any help would
be great. thanks.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Normal compression on a 160 is 142 PSI....You could be carboned up.....
Since both plugs fire simultaneously (one coil, one set of points) Let's assume for now that both sides fire..... That leaves fuel supply, carbs or carb sync..... Pop off the bowl on the non-firing cylinder....It should be about 1/3 full when removed..... More fuel indicates the floats, or the shut-off needle and seat need attention... Less usually indicates lack of flow to the carb (float height, needle and seat or fuel-line/petcock blockage)..... An easy test is to puff a small amount of starting fluid (ether) at the non firing sides carb.... If the engine picks up, it's definately a fuel supply problem
If you still suspect "weak" spark, swap the plug wires and see if it changes the "running side"....NOTE.... These bikes will NOT run properly with a less than good, well charged battery......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that the battery might be the problem, I was to cheep to go buy a battery and I fired it up by juper cables and I think you might be right on the battery problem, I'm going to get a battery and see if that helps and than I can track my problem down properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it resolved. The problem was that one of my new spark plugs was faulty. I put in an other plug and it fired right up like a dream. But now I have a new problem. I'm smoking oil out of the exhaust both pipes, so I gues I will have to change the valve seals or piston rings. Sucks for me. But it runs. thanks for the help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts