Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to press out a steering stem from a CL175 so that I can press IN a stem from an ex250.
I've never attempted this before so I need some pointers.
I realize the stem is welded on from the bottom and I must grind off the weld. I have a Dewalt right angle grinder (heavy duty) and I also have a Dremel.
So can anyone lead me from here??
Thanks,
Jim

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Jim,
Carefully grind (Duh) as much weld as you can, the closer to gone the better.... I then use a taper ream (A tapered carbide grinding burr in a die grinder works too, but a Dremel bit might take awhile) to cut from the inside of the stem tube to remove any weld left on the stem (Try not to cut too much into the bracket, although a slight "chamfer" will expedite the new weld ) and then just press it out using the chrome nut as the pressure point with a solid bar through the stem... (it goes "upwards" (towards the threads), not down through the bracket).... Although I don't remember why or if it won't work in the other direction, there must have been a reason I did it that way...... (might bulge and ruin the cap nut, so use a "spare", and put it on tight)... I think I just didn't want pressure "crushing the threads"...
Can't help with the EX stem...haven't done that....Probably same or similar....
Hope this helps.... Steve

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve. Your input DOES help.
I forgot I have a die grinder; finally get to use it! :lol:
The EX stem will be the same. :cool: I'll let you know how it turns out.
Jim

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On another note, I gotta say "This is the life".
I have my laptop in the garage with me, asking questions/getting replies,
all the time not having to go in the house except to refill my coffee cup.
Hmmm. Guess a coffee maker for the garage will be my next tool. :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
A coffee maker AND a microwave are garage requirements...LOL.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's a moral imperative....

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Don't forget the refrigerator and a comfortable chair. Quiet contemplation of your project and the end of the day can be very satisfying.

·
Registered
439 Posts
i use a hard wood stool as my "pondering chair"... when it hurts my butt AND i dont have solution yet, it surely is time to go outside and have a beer ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for everyones' input. Coffee maker MUST come first however.
Thanks to the wife, I already have a large Kenmore refrigerator in the garage. :roll: :roll: :x :x :cry: :cry:

Steve:
Would you mind posting a link to a good supplier of the carbide bits you spoke of? I've been using the stones that came with my Craftsman 1/4" die grinder and although they are OK (at least for someone that's never used anything else :lol: ) I'm sure having the right cutting bits would be a major improvement.
Jim

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
I get mine at the local automotive fastener shop.... Any good tool supply should have some... Expect to pay around $35 to $40 for one.....Any local machine shop should be able to tell you where they get them..... Snap-On tools might carry some as well....as may Sears.....
Wear heavy gloves when you use it, the steel splinters hurt!...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts