Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nasty noise I think coming from the starter motor on my '79 CM185. Have a listen:

What is happening? Is this something to worry about? Wondering if the starter can be serviced, level of difficulty, or if I should look at replacing it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Carbon dust build up on the brushes and inside. Take it apart and clean it out. I tested my starter on bench and it made that same noise. Got a decent rebuild kit and it went away.

·
Registered
879 Posts
That is not that bad. Mostly crud and old dry grease. I wouldn't worry about it.

Level of difficulty depends on the tools you have. Cordless impact comes in very handy. I now split the electric motor and leave the drive splines on the engine but if you have never seen the insides it may not be the best procedure to follow.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Sounds like the over-running starter clutch,behind the alternator, needs some attention.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Nasty noise I think coming from the starter motor on my '79 CM185. Have a listen:

What is happening? Is this something to worry about? Wondering if the starter can be serviced, level of difficulty, or if I should look at replacing it.
I sounds like it is the starter clutch hub and not the starter motor. I just fixed my starter clutch hub on my 1968 CB450. Common-motor.com sells a kit (not sure if it is for your model). You will also see videos on how to fix it.

·
Registered
52 Posts

I also suggest servicing the starter clutch. On my bike I did that job (a CL175). Its easy to do. If I recall I had to remove the engine side cover and the fly wheel. There were three tiny rollers with springs inside that I replaced. The springs get old and lose some of their push and cause the starter clutch to not grip correctly. I don’t believe it’s a mechanically dangerous condition, just a nuisance. If the springs get weak enough over a long, long time your clutch may not get any grip and may not start the bike but I don’t think you are anywhere near that point. Good luck.

Reactions: Mike1000

·
Registered
1 Posts

NEED SELF STARTER SERVICE, ALSO CHECK MAGNET INNER FRAME INCLUDING STARTER CHAIN, WHICH IS ASSOCIATED WITH SELF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts