Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I have picked up yet another project. This time its a CB360t 1975. Been going through the motions doing the checks and adjustments. So far i have done the valves, cam chain, points, and compression test, as well as full carb tear down, verifying spark, and getting new airfilters. Bike sounds strong when kicking over, just doesn't seem to want to fire up. I noticed earlier today that there is a random green wire near the battery cage (since been removed) and i cant for the life of me find out where it leads. I was wondering if anyone knows what this is for and if it has anything to do with the bike not starting. Long shot but i figured i would give it a shot.

Auto part Rust Vehicle Metal

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
It's a ground wire (green), possibly supposed to be connected to the negative battery post or cable.

Do you have spark?

After attempting to start are your plugs wet or dry?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The plugs sometimes seems as if they have a bit of wetness on it. I wouldn't say they are soaked, but they aren't dry either. What could that be a sign of? And yes i have spark, seems to be pretty strong too.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Being wet says you are at least getting some fuel into the cylinders. You said you did a compression test, what were the readings? If you have adequate compression, spark at the proper time, and something at least close to the proper air fuel ratio, it's supposed to run. Having the spark occurring 180 out is common on these bikes. At least we know your kill switch isn't in the off position.:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My compression was reading 150 on the right and 155 on the left. and is there a way for me to check if my spark is happening 180 out of sync. I did the points adjustment, but it was the first time i had ever done one. I thought it went well, but maybe not?

Thanks for the help and information J-T :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
My compression was reading 150 on the right and 155 on the left. and is there a way for me to check if my spark is happening 180 out of sync. I did the points adjustment, but it was the first time i had ever done one. I thought it went well, but maybe not?

Thanks for the help and information J-T
Check out the video link below, might help. Be sure to check you're on the compression stroke when setting timing. Easiest way to do this is remove the spark plug and put your finger over the hole while turning the engine over - https://youtu.be/nDvghJiJGFc

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
That wire was for the turn signal flasher, some flashers have 2 prongs some have 3. Green wire is usually not connected on the 2 prong types.

I can tell you if you are 180 out but you have to dig in in to find out. The line on the cam on the advance unit needs to point to the side with the rotational arrow not the number.

Auto part

Not uncommon for this to be backwards, if it is just pull the cam out of the unit and flip it 180 and put it back in. PO may have done it prior and stopped riding or sold it because of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts