Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I am working on a 72 sl350 for a customer that is equipped with a different front end (forks/brakes/etc) that has a hydraulic Kawasaki front brake caliper and 21” wheel.
Any idea what this could be from potentially? I need to get brake pads/rotor/line/lever for it and am at a loss what bike I need parts for.
Oh and the stem bearings aren’t installed properly so ideally I’d like to use new Honda stem bearings but I’m not sure if the triples are original or not.
Thanks

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Good quality pictures from several angles would be helpful.......

Reactions: oupa

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
that gives us a vague idea - but if the picture zoomed in better we might be able to see details that could help identify it. did you upload it from your phone? if so, you might try transferring it to a computer and uploading it from there

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
My guess is 82-89 KX125 or KX250

1984-KAWASAKI-KX250-classicdirtbikerider...jpg

What's the fork tube diameter?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would guess it's from a KL600 or 250- that caliper and rotor looks familiar. What's the master cylinder look like? Close up pics would be nice. It looks good on your bike tho!

·
Registered
163 Posts
That sure looks like my KLR 250 front wheel, fork leg, disc and caliper(except mine-a '91-is black- yours may be from a different year or from the earlier KL250 or 600). The master looks familiar too. New pads cost me less than $10 shipped about a year ago and a quick look on ebay shows that they're still that cheap. Are you willing to risk $6? I'd need to see a close up of the triples to know if they're KLR. Replacing the rotor might be a bit costly, and I'd recommend a braided steel brake line if you want to boost the stopping power- my OEM line is the weak link but does the job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the information. I will take the $6 gamble and was planning on using a Venhill brake line to replace the rubber along with a new lever and fresh fluid. I’ll try to clean up the rotor. Anyone find a way to run a speedo cable with this front end set-up? Am I able to order the Kawasaki speedo cable and it work with the Honda gauge?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I usually refer to this page for speedometer ratios and compatibility issues:
Speedo Tacho Ratios - Mostyn Custom Motorcycles

If you're running a 21" front wheel, perhaps you can find a speed sender from a Honda with a 21" front that will fit your axle diameter and width requirement.
Most Hondas use the same speedometer ratio, the difference is in the gearing at the wheel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I usually refer to this page for speedometer ratios and compatibility issues:
Speedo Tacho Ratios - Mostyn Custom Motorcycles

If you're running a 21" front wheel, perhaps you can find a speed sender from a Honda with a 21" front that will fit your axle diameter and width requirement.
Most Hondas use the same speedometer ratio, the difference is in the gearing at the wheel.
Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tried local parts store for a new lever but they didn’t have a match. Ended up finding one online for a klr250 that was identical so picked it up. Gotta sort out the stem bearings yet and toss a new brake line on and then the speedo cable.
Thanks for all the help guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts