Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've encountered another mystery with my 1976 CB500T. I installed a brand new throttle cable and have found that the I'm not getting a consistent idle. I set the idle at 1200 but the bike actually idles at anywhere from 1000 to 2000 rpm. It seems to idle on the high end after taking the bike out for a long ride at speeds over 50 mph. When I do come to a stop the tach is reading around 2000 rpm. Occassionally the idle will mysteriously drop to 1000 for no reason. At this point the bike wants to stall out completely. I made sure the throttle cable is routed correctly and have adjusted it to the specification listed in the book. Turning the handle bars one way or the other doesn't affect the idle at all. When the bike is idling high I made sure the idle adjustment screws were completely down (throttle not hanging up). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In my experience, it's normal for a bike to want to idle/run higher rpm when it's warmed up. That's why I make all my carb adjustments when the bike is warm vs cold.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Hi,

Funny, when my engine is cold it idles, but after a decent ride the engine idles to low and stalls sometimes.
Synchronization, and adjusting carbs is done on the dyno while measuring and analyze the gases with a gas analyzer,

Jensen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts