Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me show you who I am and what I do. I'm a lawyer by trade, but that is just something I do between riding bikes... its not a hobby, its the oxygen I breath. I'll show you a pic of my workshop later.

I've been riding bikes for some 48 years and have had many. Its in the chase. I have a bucket list and work through it. Once done I sell and get the next one. I can't just have one bike. Each has a purpose, all give me pleasure. At present I have 5 bikes. Its only meant to be 3, but I can't help myself. I don't have a car that is mine. We have a deal that I may have as many bikes as equals the value of my wife's car.

I'm very fortunate my wife likes biking as much as I do, and we tour together, her as pillion.

So lets start. No 1, my 1150 adv. This is the bike I've had the longest ever, almost 5 years now. I'm not allowed to sell it, and eventually want to put a sidecar on it.
IMG_5072.JPG

Useful Links

https://www.davidsilverspares.com

Reactions: ctrider

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This was us starting our year end tour some three years ago. As you get older you need more home comforts. The bike was totally over loaded and a beast to handle. On that trip I decided its time for the sidecar, but Wify would not letme. She wanted to ride 'bike' and was not ready for it.

IMG_0139.JPG

So I decided I'll build a trailer for it. We ride a lot of dirt road so it had to be a uni-trailer. It's as yet an unfinished project, but I'll get back to it.

IMG_1560 - Copy.JPG

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Next, my favourite and daily bike the 1100s. This is the bike that makes me smile.

IMG_0465.JPG

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Then the work horse, my KLR 650. Those from around here will know what I mean when I say it a Basutho Pony. It goes anywhere and I use it for the rougher stuff.

IMG_7548.JPG

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was it for the past year or so, until two months ago. Over time I've had enough of restorations and rebuilds. They use up all your time and I wanted to ride more. And another project came along which sucks me dry. More about that later.

The BMW RT has been on my bucket list for a long time since the days of the 1100 and 1150. But I had decided I will only have three bikes, and one would have to go. That would be the 1100, but I could not so the RT had to wait. That did not keep me from wishing and every time I see a nice one, I show Wify the pics.

Then two months ago I picked up on this one, called the seller and bought the bike. Its easier to say you sorry than ask permission. I showed her the pic and she said "Ag, just keep the 1100 and buy it" Man, I love her.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then, while making arrangements and waiting to go fetch the RT in Cape Town (and ride it home) some 800km's away, I saw and add on our ADV bike forum for the CB400 Twin. I did not want a project, but it looked good. It was on my way home from CT on the RT so I went and had a look at it and bought it. A few issues to sort (discussed elsewhere) but very happy with it. I said in my Intro. this was our first bike and I always regretted selling it.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I said I don't have a car, because this is our bus. Always, since I was a youngster, I gad a Kombi camper on the bucket list and three years ago I got this one and did a complete, retro, original rebuild on it. Has a 2.6 5 cylinder Audi engine and pulls like a steam train. Funny thing is I've thrown thousands of rands at it more than ever on a bike(s) and Wify never said a word. When I blew money on bikes she would forever make remarks.

Its 28 years old and a never ending project, requiring something every month. Last week before we went on a trip I had to replace the fuel pump. That's mainly why I've been off bike building.

Before

13-3-16.JPG

After

IMG_6341.JPG

And this is what we try and do once a month

IMG_7634.JPG

With Oupa's (Grandpa) little braai helper

IMG_7638.JPG

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My kids grew up around bikes and it was inevitable they would ride one day. Here are the two eldest on their daily ride to the farm gate with me. Every afternoon they would wait at the gate for the ride to the house some 100 meters away.

0005.jpg

My first bolt and nut restoration was this R80G/S. Here is my eldest on her first trip with me a week after I finished the bike. On day two she dropped it in a gravel pass and bawled her eyes out.

0006.jpg

Reactions: ctrider and 76TWIN

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I keep busy and my main hobby is metal work. Here is one of my projects I enjoyed most, taking this old trailer and building it into something more useful. Its gone through some changes since then, like getting a metal floor and nose cone.

001.JPG

38.JPG

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of my other hobbies... bonsai. Been at it now for some 30 years. I only have this one tree now, grown from a cutting the last 20 years or so. Been in a training pot the past 4 years. I was meant to put it in a display pot this year but it got hurt last year so I'll give it time to recover and re-pot next year.

Its a Catlin Elm grown in natural style. When done one day it will stand about a meter high with a meter wide crown.

IMG_7279.JPG

Reactions: ctrider and 76TWIN

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For the sake of interest, here's my list of bikes I've owned, some good and some projects in one way or another. All were fun to have at the time. I like Thumpers.

1976 - 1996
1. Honda 50cc Fury
2. Yamaha YB80
3. Honda CB400 Twin
Honda XR200R
4. Kawasaki Z650
5. Kawasaki Z1100 shaft
6. BMW R65
7. BMW R100RS

2007 to date
8. Honda Africa Twin x 2
9. BMW R80 PD
10. Honda XL500 R
11. BMW R100 RS
12. BMW R1200 GSA
13. Yamaha XT600 Tenere
14.Yamaha XT 600e
15. BMW R90/6
16. Yamaha XT660 Tenere
17. Honda 125 e- Storm
18. Honda XR125 L
19. Suzuki DR200 Djebel
20. BMW R1150 GSA
21. Kawasaki KLX650 c
22. BMW R65
23. Suzuki DR750 s
24. Honda QR50
25. Honda CD200 x 2
26. Yamaha XT660R
27. BMW R1100s
28. Honda CB250 Twister
29. Suzuki DR800s
30. Suzuki DR650
31. Kawasaki KLR650
32. Vespa PE200E
33. Honda CB400 Twin
34. BMW R1200RT

Current

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. At the moment I'm scratching head on how to get the CB400 to run nicely https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/6...ely-rev-s-up-won-t-accelerate-under-load.html

Any input will help. Then the Kombi needs work (speedo and fuel gauge not working) and I need to put shelving in the garage for our camping stuff. That's besides the chores, which is as always a never ending growing list.

In the meantime its a magnificent spring/summers day outside and I should be on my bike.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds to me like you're livin the dream!:grin:
Flat out, and I never stop dreaming. Like a friend of mine once said "You're never to old to enjoy your childhood". I was bikeless for 9 years while raising kids and when Wify said lets get a bike again, I made sure I made up for it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I said I'd show a pic of my workshop. So this is where no one bothers me, except the grand kids, they are allowed to bother me anytime. The Kombi's door stays open, as its their play place.

IMG_7761.JPG

Reactions: colvinry

·
Registered
215 Posts
Welcome!! I've only heard the word Kombi in reference to those buses in Mexico, but I guess it's in use in New Zealand too.... regardless, thanks for the background.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welcome!! I've only heard the word Kombi in reference to those buses in Mexico, but I guess it's in use in New Zealand too.... regardless, thanks for the background.
South Africa.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts