Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have been on this forum for a while now. I have made a few post asking questions regarding my SL350 project. Well, I thought it was time I posted some pictures and share in my journey. I have never done something this in depth ever before. So, this has been an exercise in patients, humility, and more patients. Though my project is far from being complete, I feel I have come a long way.

I have a 1971 Honda SL350. I bought it about 10 years ago with the intent to take the engine and use it in a mini sand rail. Over the years that idea changed many times. Long story short, I settled on making it into a bobber. And to all the purist out there, I will admit that at the time I didn't really understand what I had (a cool, old, kinda rare motorcycle).

Jump to about a year ago, I started tearing everything apart.

What I have done and had done so far.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

This is what the bike looked like on the fateful night I tore into it with out a plane or direction other that I wanted to over haul the engine.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Spoke

Auto part Machine

Here is the empty frame and the engine spread out on a table.

Auto part Groupset Machine Engine Automotive engine part

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Carburetor

as the cold set in I moved everything to my basement. Luckily I have yet to put carpet in (procrastination does pay off:)

Auto part

Auto part

Auto part

Here is a before and after I polished the combustion chamber... I must of been bored that day.

Auto part Metal

Auto part Metal

Plastic Circle

Circle Plastic

I am fortunate enough to work at a place where I have access to some equipment that has made the cleaning process a lot easier.

Auto part Vehicle

Automotive design Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Grille

Auto part Cylinder Engine Metal

I painted the engine myself. used Dupli-color engine enamel.

I really enjoyed the cleaning and painting process of the overhaul. I love making something that was old, dirty, and dingy new again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On to the engine assembly. I was so nervous to do this. Just worried I would do something wrong. I put it off for as long as I could. I decided to move everything upstairs to my kitchen table. Made it easier to work on. It's hard to ignore something you have to walk past every day.

Auto part Machine Machine tool Rotor Engine

Machine Auto part Engine Machine tool

I took the dive and got the crank installed and torqued down.

Engine Auto part Machine tool Machine Automotive engine part

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Machine Gear

Got the to halves torqued together.

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Machine

The pistons and cylinders on. Had a local shop bore and hone them for my new pistons. Also put in the new clutch and springs.

Material property Ruler Measuring instrument Number Label

managed to drop this into the case while trying to install the cylinders. Some how I was able to get it out through the drain hole. I was about it freak out!

Electronics Auto part Engine Technology Machine

Lapped in the valves and installed the springs and set the head in place.

Auto part Engine Technology Automotive engine part

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part

Intalled the reground cam and all the fixings.

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Carburetor Automotive lighting

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle

This is as far as I have made it.

Sorry all the pictures aren't oriented the correct way... I cant figure out of the get them to flip in the right direction.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I am pretty proud of myself. It is still in my kitchen (it makes a pretty nice center piece).

Thanks for all the advice and help along the way!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts