Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have been on this forum for a while now. I have made a few post asking questions regarding my SL350 project. Well, I thought it was time I posted some pictures and share in my journey. I have never done something this in depth ever before. So, this has been an exercise in patients, humility, and more patients. Though my project is far from being complete, I feel I have come a long way.

I have a 1971 Honda SL350. I bought it about 10 years ago with the intent to take the engine and use it in a mini sand rail. Over the years that idea changed many times. Long story short, I settled on making it into a bobber. And to all the purist out there, I will admit that at the time I didn't really understand what I had (a cool, old, kinda rare motorcycle).

Jump to about a year ago, I started tearing everything apart.

What I have done and had done so far.

20160603_194816.jpg

This is what the bike looked like on the fateful night I tore into it with out a plane or direction other that I wanted to over haul the engine.

20160606_215036.jpg

20160609_194144.jpg

Here is the empty frame and the engine spread out on a table.

20170124_203440.jpg

20170124_194717.jpg

as the cold set in I moved everything to my basement. Luckily I have yet to put carpet in (procrastination does pay off:)

20170201_100507.jpg

20170201_140743.jpg

20170201_151811.jpg

Here is a before and after I polished the combustion chamber... I must of been bored that day.

20170225_153359.jpg

20170203_090008.jpg

20170304_172115.jpg

20170304_175550.jpg

I am fortunate enough to work at a place where I have access to some equipment that has made the cleaning process a lot easier.

20170404_121537.jpg

20170629_123549.jpg

20170819_160818.jpg

I painted the engine myself. used Dupli-color engine enamel.

I really enjoyed the cleaning and painting process of the overhaul. I love making something that was old, dirty, and dingy new again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On to the engine assembly. I was so nervous to do this. Just worried I would do something wrong. I put it off for as long as I could. I decided to move everything upstairs to my kitchen table. Made it easier to work on. It's hard to ignore something you have to walk past every day.

20170608_194629.jpg

20170812_123006.jpg

I took the dive and got the crank installed and torqued down.

20170819_202639.jpg

20170915_194722.jpg

Got the to halves torqued together.

20170922_214141.jpg

The pistons and cylinders on. Had a local shop bore and hone them for my new pistons. Also put in the new clutch and springs.

20170915_195336.jpg

managed to drop this into the case while trying to install the cylinders. Some how I was able to get it out through the drain hole. I was about it freak out!

20170923_092045.jpg

Lapped in the valves and installed the springs and set the head in place.

20170925_114958.jpg

20170925_115057.jpg

Intalled the reground cam and all the fixings.

20171001_154216.jpg

20170928_195343.jpg

This is as far as I have made it.

Sorry all the pictures aren't oriented the correct way... I cant figure out of the get them to flip in the right direction.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I am pretty proud of myself. It is still in my kitchen (it makes a pretty nice center piece).

Thanks for all the advice and help along the way!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Not arrogant at all! Damn nice looking motor! Polished bits look great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Sorry all the pictures aren't oriented the correct way... I cant figure out of the get them to flip in the right direction.
You and me both!

Great job on the project, beautiful work.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top