Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In December 2016 I finished restoring a 1965 CB160 which I then sold in January 2017. My first bike at 16 in 1976 was a CB160 so I'm always on the lookout to help save another one (or CL160, CL77, CB77, etc.) Restorable examples seem to be getting harder to find so when I saw one on ebay last October I had to get it even though it was up in Wisconsin and was in pretty rough shape:
left-front.jpg left-side.jpg

Engine was partially stuck when I got it. It would rotate a bit then lock-up. Somehow a small pebble had gotten in there and was getting pinched between the piston and the exhaust valve. Engine needed:
  • one new exhaust valve
  • two new sets of rings
  • a hone
  • carbs vapor-blasted and rebuilt
  • starter motor rebuilt
  • through cleaning
  • some paint and polish and it fired right up.

And here she is after an 85-day-long frame-up restoration:
IMG_3769.jpg IMG_3770.jpg IMG_3774.jpg

Paint is House of Kolor Euro Red and Orion Silver. The silver is a bit more "blingy" than Honda used, but I like it and have used it on three restorations so far.
I still may try to save the original mufflers, but they need the last 1-foot of each of them to be completely rebuilt with new metal.

I will post up a few more pics of the process.

She'll be up for sale soon after I enjoy her a bit. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
755 Posts
nice work!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just picked up a spectacular cl160 that has some mild pitting in the chrome. I am replacing or rechroming these parts now. Do you know if the chrome part of the fork legs can be removed. Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just picked up a spectacular cl160 that has some mild pitting in the chrome. I am replacing or rechroming these parts now. Do you know if the chrome part of the fork legs can be removed. Thanks
Hi, yes. If they are early forks there are four little holes in each chrome piece and you'll need a pin-wrench to unscrew them from the painted steel bottom parts. I bought an adjustable plumbers wrench at the home store and welded a couple of coupler nuts to each side. Then I ground-down the tips of some bolts to fit the holes and heat-treated them to harden them. Sometime the chrome parts are very hard to unscrew and you'll need penetrating old and perhaps a bit of heat to get them to start turning. IMG_0436.jpg Not sure why pic is sideways.

If they are older style forks with a silver lower leg and chrome has no pin-wrench holes in then the chrome is just glued on. A little heat from a heat gun to soften the glue and they should come off. After rechroming you can use Gorilla glue (sparing!) to glue them back into place. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Just gorgeous ! Really nice!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just gorgeous ! Really nice!
Thank you very much. Believe it or not it sold in July, the buyer has paid in full, but has not picked it up yet. I should be charging storage, but hopefully he'll finally pick it up January 2019.
Also, I am busy working on CB160 restoration number three: left side.jpg It was born blue and it will be repainted blue. I've already bought the PPG 10419 "Mariner Blue" paint from the local jobber store and it looks like it will be a very good match. I'll post pics and the link to the ebay listing when it is finished sometime next month. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info. They are the glued ones. I have one extra to experiment with so I`ll try to heat it without discoloring it. Other than the pitting they are like new and I don`t want to damage the painted part.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. They are the glued ones. I have one extra to experiment with so I`ll try to heat it without discoloring it. Other than the pitting they are like new and I don`t want to damage the painted part.
Sounds good. And actually, I should make it clear that I've only ever worked on CB160s (not CLs) so I'm not sure if CLs might be slightly different in some way. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that. Good luck with your restoration!

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Hi, yes. If they are early forks there are four little holes in each chrome piece and you'll need a pin-wrench to unscrew them from the painted steel bottom parts. I bought an adjustable plumbers wrench at the home store and welded a couple of coupler nuts to each side. Then I ground-down the tips of some bolts to fit the holes and heat-treated them to harden them. Sometime the chrome parts are very hard to unscrew and you'll need penetrating old and perhaps a bit of heat to get them to start turning. View attachment 271190
I like your inventive solution of making the tool to do the job. Really nice work bringing the bikes back as well. Good stuff, keep it up!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts